News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. George order research

Jaybo

Hello all,

This are questions to the moderator and all Imperial Russian era students/experten. First, are the 'logs' listing the award winners with the decoration number (i.e.-241,455) for the Order of St. George, St. George Crosses and Bravery Medals still in existence or were they lost during the Revolution? It would be wonderful to actually find out who the indivdual was who won the awards in our collections.

Second, how were the decisions to award the various decorations made? I envision a group of old, wizened, bearded Russian generals sitting around making the call but I must believe that there was more to it than that. Were there 'statutes' that governed the awarding process? Are they availble yet today? Any insight into these questions would be most welcome.

All the best,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Sorry I cannot help with Jaybo's question, I wish I could.

Two related questions :

Is it possible to establish at what periods a Silver Cross (no class indicated) n°96.568 and a 4th Class Silver Medal n°35.797 could have been awarded ?

According to Wehrlich (1968) single class Crosses were awarded until 1856 (Crimean War) and the first years of the Caucasus War. The number of awards given by this author would be approximately consistent with a cross n°96.568 be about that period. How far can this be considered reliable ?

Same question about the 4th Class Silver medal with the low number ? What period ?

Every bit of information will be gratefully received.

Thank you

Veteran

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post the photos of crosses ?

Hello Igor

Thank you for your interest. I have trouble with the pictures of the cross, but this is the reverse of the Medal. The obverse will be shown on the next message.

Nice medal .

About cross - if this cross are original - not for WWI .

Crimean War !

Can you send me BIG pictures of cross to my e-mail ?

Thank you for your reply. What period would you think the Medal could be ?

As for the cross, how BIG is a BIG PICTURE ? This one is already about x2 true size !.

Are copies or fakes known of the cross? The stamped numbers look OK to me.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran