News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

S.A. STATE PRESIDENT'S GUARD

Mervyn Mitton

This uniform was worn by the elite State President's Guard up until the end of white rule in the early 1990's. For the Presidential State of the Union address last week they have revived the Guard.

Both the uniform and the shako have been retained in the original form - however, new badges are on the shako and the ostrich plume on top has been taken off. I am showing a picture of how it looked.

What I did find surprising , is that they have taken to using the old .303 Lee Enfield rifle, but with carbine bayonet. This is a heavy rifle , ( 9lb. 4 oz. : app.4.4K's) but is ideal for drill movements. Some years ago the British Army wanted to keep using them for Parades, but it was decided they must use the standard rifle of the day.

Mervyn,

Interesting that they have revived the State Presidential Guard. Are they serving members of the armed forces? Will it continue in use and will they actually guard the President. Do you have any fotos of the guard as it existed before being disbanded in the 1990s?

Regards,

Gordon

To expand slightly on the history:

The unit was formed in 1967, at the request of outgoing state president Swart. It was called the State President's Guard, and it wore the ruritanian uniform and the plumed shako with the presidential emblem (the national coat of arms with the letters SP above).

President Botha changed the name to "State President's Unit" in 1985, and later the ceremonial uniform was changed to ordinary service dress, with a "polo helmet" as headdress. This was in preference to a new full dress uniform which had been designed: it consisted of a blue tunic with orange facings, white trousers, and a white helmet with plumes.

President De Klerk disbanded the unit in 1990. It was revived by president Mandela in the late 1990s, in its present form as the "National Ceremonial Guard".

What is the current shako badge? The badge in the photos looks as though it might be the ordinary infantry springbok head, but on BidorBuy there are badges for this unit which depict the tri-service emblem in a wreath.

• 8 months later...

Perhaps someone could show us the new badge - I can't quite make-it out. Is it a flaming grenade ?

I think the badge is the standard SA Infantry badge. This would be in keeping with the army's current policy of only wearing corps badges(with a few exceptions of traditional units).