News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is the Mint Mark on my Baden Silver Merit Medal?

Hi everyone,

Just got back from the 'Show of Shows' in Louisville, Kentucky this afternoon, and boy was I amazed! Too bad I couldn't go on a shopping spree as I would have liked! biggrin.gif

I did pick up a nice, simple trio bar that contains a Baden Silver Merit Medal. My question is, upon looking the medals over very carefully, I noticed that the merit medal has what appears to be a very small (for lack of a better description) bee marked on the bottom edge. It is the silvered bronze version, and not the late war zinc version, so I am guessing this is the mark for bronze. Am I guessing correctly?

Thanks!

Jason

Sure it is bronze, not iron? Use a magnet... ;)

It is the silvered bronze version, and not the late war zinc version, so I am guessing this is the mark for bronze. Am I guessing correctly?

Almost correct. This mark is seen on ALL official strikes of this medal that are not silver: bronze, iron, zinc.

Up to June 1916, they were struck in Karlsruhe state mint in silver, then they changed to B. H. Mayer and non-silver. If yours is bronze, congratulations. Those are the rarest while zinc, iron and silver are rather common with a total of guessed 170,000 awarded in WW1.

Not to be confused with "Spangenstücke", which are usually silvered bronze or brass - but not official strikes, and always without the mark.

I have one in my possesion which appears to be of two thin bronze discs with an Iron core in between. :o

Kevin in Deva.

Discs? The iron medals were coppered before silvered, but that makes no disc but just a finish... sure yours is three-part?

Discs? The iron medals were coppered before silvered, but that makes no disc but just a finish... sure yours is three-part?

Yup, fairly sure the copper on the edge / rim has not been peeled off, will dig it out and take some pictures in daylight tomorrow, then post them.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 4 months later...