Opinions on a camo m1916 stahlhelm

These are probably about the best shots I can get with the cruddy little flash on my digital camera. I'll try to get some better ones once the sun comes back up again and I can get natural light to work with.

Anyhow, what does the collective wisdom of the group think of the paint job? Did I end up with something relatively rare, or a bad paint job on a good shell?

From the pictures you show, I'd say you have a very bad paint job on an otherwise interesting shell.

If you manage to remove the green and black splurge without completely eliminating what finish there might be beneath it, you should have a nice item to gather dust on the top of a bookshelf (which is what my helmets do).

From the pictures you show, I'd say you have a very bad paint job on an otherwise interesting shell.

If you manage to remove the green and black splurge without completely eliminating what finish there might be beneath it, you should have a nice item to gather dust on the top of a bookshelf (which is what my helmets do).

That's what I was afraid of, but what I was expecting. Any ideas how best to remove the paint?

Thanks,

--Chris

Chris,

Normal (jelly type) paint remover should take that off and so long as you don't leave it on there too long it shouldn't attack the original paint.

I believe the original paint job was baked on making it tough to remove but don't quote me on that.

Tony

Chris,

Normal (jelly type) paint remover should take that off and so long as you don't leave it on there too long it shouldn't attack the original paint.

I believe the original paint job was baked on making it tough to remove but don't quote me on that.

Tony

The new stuff was definately brushed on... I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

--Chris

Will post some pictures later tonight, or early tomorrow... The green and black came right off, revealing a nice light feldgrau on about 25%-30% of the exterior surface area. (The jelly only took off the green and the black paint.) Definate improvement.

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte

That to me now looks like an impressive hat. I like it very much.

David, are you thinking Vickers Irish CD helmet or something completely different? Although it is missing the attachment for the badge so forget I mentioned it.

Tony