News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OFFICER RESEARCH REQUEST.

This is going to be an unusual subject under this heading. However, I am hoping that one of our members who enjoys research, may be able to help with the identity of this officer ?

For those not historic Police orientated, a tipstaff was a crowned staff carried by someone with authority from the Crown. They went out of fashion in the 1880's when Warrant Cards or, I.D's were introduced. We know of only approx. 2000 and they are rare and valuable pieces. However, they were intended for the Civil Powers - Head Constables, Magistrates, Judges etc. Named to a Regt. or a Camp they are more than rare - to bear the name and rank of a Lt. - this is the only one...

This tipstaff would appear to be for the reign of either William 4th.(1830-37) or, Queen Victoria (1837-1901). From the appearance, I would say 1830's-40's. It is named on the silver plaque - NIALL MOYNAHAN 2 Lt.

The Irish name could be a clue and the only reason I can think for giving a low ranking officer, such an important symbol, is that he may have been with an Irish Regt. and posted with his men in support of the Civil Authorities.

This will be re-posted later, under British Police - however, if any one can track the Lt. down and find out what was his unit and what he was doing, will have certainly earnt themselves a note in his history.

Mervyn

According to my reading the rank of 2nd Lieutenant was introduced into the British Army in 1871 or 1877.

I shall check through my Army Lists.

The 1875 list still shows ensigns, the 1878 list shows sub-lieutenants and 2nd Lieutenants so 1877 would appear to be the correct date.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

I checked through my Army Lists 1878 - 1903 but could find no 2nd Lt Niall MOYNAHAN.

I haven't got every year between those dates but the spread of 10 lists should have yielded a result.

I also checked the London Gazette but that turned up nothing.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Thankyou Stuart - I am very grateful to you. The dating helps pin it down - despite the Crown shape, 1877 would be an era where they were using tipstaffs. Perhaps he was a local Territorial appointment - or, a Magistrate - given a military rank to command troops as well as police. Ireland was very troubled in that period. Mervyn