News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

A similar question towards my previous thread => but another unit.

Can anyone inform me from what period the Belgian royals:

* Phillips, COunt of Flanders (brother of King Leopold II)

and his son:

* ALbert (the later King Albert I of Belgium)

Where the Honorary Chief (grade: Oberst) from this Unit?

Thanks in advance + cordial greetings,

Prince Philipp was the Chef from 27.02.1883-17.11.1905. Albert was the Regimental Chef from 27.08.1907 until sometime after the outbreak of the war. Unfortunately, I don't have that exact date.

Prince Albert was placed à la suite of DR 16 on 30.05.1895, so, he had a lengthy association with this particular regiment.

Andy

Prince Philipp was the Chef from 27.02.1883-17.11.1905. Albert was the Regimental Chef from 27.08.1907 until sometime after the outbreak of the war. Unfortunately, I don't have that exact date.

Prince Albert was placed à la suite of DR 16 on 30.05.1895, so, he had a lengthy association with this particular regiment.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Thank you very much for the information (once again ;)). What exactly does "a la Suite" mean?

Cordial greetings,

What exactly does "a la Suite" mean?

If I may, as I understand it a la Suite means an officer who is granted the priviledge of wearing a uniform of a particular army or regiment, but has no real function. It's more of an honorary position, so to speak.

David,

You are very welcome. My apologies for using a term and not explaining it.

Mike is right on the money. This was purely an honorary position and granted mainly to royals (and lesser nobility, too) within Germany and to retired officers, mostly General officers. Obviously, members of Europen royalty were also granted this honor.

Andy