News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Postcard WW1 era?

Kev in Deva

post-950-126764407165_thumb.jpg

I have no idea why a postcard size item scanned at 200dpi has to be reduced to this size before it will upload to the Forum, I have scanned others at the same dpi reduced them via the "Web - Small (448 x 336 px) setting and uploaded to the forum, where they are much bigger, no problem. :banger:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Digi photo crop.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Hello Kev

Quite a typical picture. The caption on the blackboard reads (in military slang) :

162 au jus et la fuite pour le 23/2

When France had compulsory National Service (until the late 1990s), the men would count the days they still had to serve before they would be sent home. In this case these men expected to be escape (la fuite) from the Army in 162 days (le jus) on February 27th. The picture was therefore taken on September 29th (1920-1940 ?).

A nice picture. The writer was probably hospitalized at the time he sent the card.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello Kev

Quite a typical picture. The caption on the blackboard reads (in military slang) :

162 au jus et la fuite pour le 23/2

When France had compulsory National Service (until the late 1990s), the men would count the days they still had to serve before they would be sent home. In this case these men expected to be escape (la fuite) from the Army in 162 days (le jus) on February 27th. The picture was therefore taken on September 29th (1920-1940 ?).

A nice picture. The writer was probably hospitalized at the time he sent the card.

Regards

Veteran

Hello,

I think the right caption is 162 au jus et la fuite pour la 27/2.

Young people were belonging to an age group, named "la classe", 20 years after their birth, and then incorporated every peers month. Talking about his National Service, a young French said "I belong to the 27/2 class" (j'appartiens à la classe 27/2) meaning: "I have done my National Service in 1927 and have been incorporated in February (or maybe in the second wave, in April)".

Regards

Noir 7

Hello,

I think the right caption is 162 au jus et la fuite pour la 27/2.

Young people were belonging to an age group, named "la classe", 20 years after their birth, and then incorporated every peers month. Talking about his National Service, a young French said "I belong to the 27/2 class" (j'appartiens à la classe 27/2) meaning: "I have done my National Service in 1927 and have been incorporated in February (or maybe in the second wave, in April)".

Regards

Noir 7

Noir 7 is absolutely right.

This picture was therefore taken in the Fall of 1929, since àt that time National Service was 12 months. These men would have completed their time in the Army in the winter or early Spring 1930.

Best regards

Veteran