News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Crimea Medal

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

The Turkish Crimea Medal 1855

Issued by the Sultan of Turkey to the Allied forces of Britain, France and Sardinia who served during the Crimean War 1854 - 1856.

Description: In silver (1) 36mm diameter, obverse depicts the Sultan's cypher over "Crimea 1271" in Turkish (2) , all within a wreath. Reverse; a cannon, mortar and anchor standing on the Russian flag. A map of the Crimea is spread over the cannon. In the background are the four flags of the allies. Three versions of reverse exist.

British: "CRIMEA 1855" in exergue, British flag to the fore, on the right. (3)

French: "LA CRIMEE 1855" in exergue, French flag to the fore, on the right.

Sardinian: "LA CRIMEA 1855" in exergue, Sardinian flag to the fore, on the right.

The original suspension was by means of a small silver and larger steel ring fit through a pierced hole in the disc, but this is very often replaced with a Queen's Crimea medal suspender, or some other more robust form of suspension.

Naming: Issued unnamed but frequently found with engraved naming of various unofficial styles - also found (less commonly) impressed regimental or depot style.

Ribbon: Crimson with green edges. (the original issue ribbon was 18mm wide but this was often replaced with normal width, 32mm ribbon)

notes

1 Struck in a lower grade 0.800 silver as opposed to the usual British standard of the time (pre 1875) of 0.950.

2. 1271 A.H. Islamic = 1855 Gregorian

3. A ship bringing part of the consignment of medals to Britain was wrecked, but the problem was resolved by the issue of Sardinian and French strikings to British troops - hence all three types turn up to British personnel.

++++++++++++++++++++

This particular example is the Sardinian issue. As noted above the original ring suspension is long gone, replaced by the common 1854-56 Crimea Medal Suspension.

Also note the hole drilled through the medal for the ring has been plugged (as is also quite often seen).

Obverse:

• 1 year later...

Very nice medal! I am not sure that the medal ribbon is the original (British) issued one though as the medal was meant to have the Turkish inscription as the obverse, but many Crimean veterans soon found out that by displaying the reverse of the medal complete with canon, was worth a few pints in the pub. This meant that the reverse side of the ribbon became faded due to exposure to the elements.

Guest Darrell

Very nice medal! I am not sure that the medal ribbon is the original (British) issued one though as the medal was meant to have the Turkish inscription as the obverse, but many Crimean veterans soon found out that by displaying the reverse of the medal complete with canon, was worth a few pints in the pub. This meant that the reverse side of the ribbon became faded due to exposure to the elements.

I would hazard a guess that 95% of all medal ribbons for Victorian medals have been replaced.

Hi Darrell.

I concur with that conclusion. Oldies such as I can remember the days when the 'old & bold' from WW2 used to sit in the sun outside the prosthetic hospital with their medals ablazing! I can also remember the mentally scarred veteran's who used to tramp the highways and byways of Yorkshire looking for a meal and shelter in exchange for the 'odd job'. Even these proud men made sure thier medals were displayed, sometimes without ribbons!

kind regards

Tony

Tony - I must take this opportunity to welcome you to GMIC. Your memories are obviously still fresh in your mind - I am afraid today that most of the 'oldies' from WW2 have either 'passed on' - or , they are in their late 80's.

I'm possibly older then you are - as a small boy in London during the War, I can still mentally remember aerial dog fights above the house - and see the convoys of troops heading to Dover. Tell us a little about your background ? Mervyn

• 2 weeks later...