News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Tropical Helmet Markings

Hi all,

We just got some new helmets in and I need some help identifying a couple of markings inside one of them. The helmet is a tropical helmet with a long flap in front and back to cover the neck and shoulders and a glass face shield. It was listed as a "Royal Engineers Special Pattern Tropical Special Companies Foreign Service Helmet." I believe it may be an early type of gas helmet. Inside the flaps though there are three ink stamps. One is "W.D. 1915" with a an arrow or crow's foot type of symbol; I think this is the War Department acceptance stamp. The others I can't figure out though; one is "17 G.H." and the other is "45 C.C.S." I don't know if these are unit markings or what. I'll try to take some pictures today to post up here. Any help with the markings or any info on the helmet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If it was'nt for the "W.D. 1915" marking, I would've suggested a WWII period anti - gas cover used on British steel helmets, "17 G.H." possbly 17th Battalion Gordon HIghlanders, "45 C.C.S. possibly 45th Casualty Clearing Station, that's about the best I can come up with.

It does appear that photos are required - a sun helmet, a steel helmet or a hood?

Unless I am mistaken I have seen photos of this one. It is a Wolseley modified by the removal of the ventilator and the consequent stopping up of the vent. Presumably to prevent gas from entering the helmet shell.

It has a fitted hood all around into which is let a glass arrangement not dissimilar to a scuba face mask.

There is also a fixture which takes a tube to supply air into the helmet but from where? A tank containing Oxylithe (sodium peroxide or sodium dioxide which absorbs carbon dioxide and emits oxygen) may have been used. If it is indeed Royal Engineers then a tube attached to a compressor may have been used for such things a mine rescue i.e. a collapsed or destroyed sap.

It is obviously an attempt to provide protection from gas but, obviously, not too many were made.

Unless someone on the forum can ID this I suggest enquiries to the NAM or the Royal Engineers Museum.

Stuart

That's pretty much what it is, though it's not quite a Wolseley pattern. I'll put some photos below. Thanks for the suggestion about the Royal Engineers museum, I will also be trying to contact them.

the leather edge does show how thick the shell is, and it does appear to be made of cork. aside from the glass plate and housing on the front, the helmet is pretty lightweight.

here's the top. there is no evidence of a vent hole.

the inside. it has a leather sweatband with a padded suspension system. i haven't seen anything like it in a pith helmet. i'm guessing it needed more suspension because of the increased weight. the face shield makes it very unbalanced, with most of the weight in the front.

and there are no markings inside the helmet, just the ink stamps that i mentioned in the first post.

Edited by Mackinturk