News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BOER WAR ARMY WHISTLE

William's post of the old - and rare - Boer War jacket, reminded me that I had this whistle. I have posted it separately in order not to break his thread. Stamped with the Broad Arrow , this particlar one was issued to prison guards at Boer Prisoner of War camps. Particularly, in Capetown. The stamped number was probably for that special purpose and they could have a record of issue. Identical to the Police whistles of that time, the top of the ring has a flattening. The chain is also identical to Police.The whistle was supplied to the Army by the Metropolitan Police Armourers - Parker's. Original date of issue 1893. Could it have been originally for the Police and then re-issued for the War ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Mervyn,

An interesting artifact.

I have more of a question rather than a comment. If this was originally issued to the police and then reissued to the military would the WD stamp not have created an indent around the mark, or would the whistle be thick enough to withstand the impact of the stamping? Perhaps all such stamps were made after manufacture and not during and would not have caused any indentation. As you can see it is more of a question than a comment.

Regards

Brian