News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - WW2 Awards - British awards?

I recently purchased a rack of medals at a flea market - mostly because I was slightly bemused by the strange combination of medals, which comprises;

War Commemorative Medal 1940-1941

Greek German (Army) 1941-1945 War Medal (Land Ops)

British 1939-45 Star

British Africa Star

British Italy Star

British War Medal

The group is well-mounted on an old brooch pin. (Sorry, no image - my camera has decided not to play today).

Does this group make sense to anyone? I have never heard of the Free Greek Army or Royal Hellenic Army being entitled to British awards and cannot imagine the circumstances under which these would be issued to a British serviceman. Can anybody help me resolve this mystery?

Many thanks,

He could be a member of the 1st Greek Brigade or the Sacred Squadron, but the combination is strange and unusual, anyway. It doesn't seem to make too much sense.

makedon

Thanks Makedon!

For some reason I described one of the medals as Greek German. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking of! Naturally I meant the Greek (Army) 1941-1945 War Medal (Land Ops). Nonetheless it still seems a little strange.

• 4 months later...

Not so strange, Dimitris.

This is a genuine group with award certificates for the Greek Awards. Greek guy ex REME, RAF and Greek Mountain Brigade.

Shaun

I recently purchased a rack of medals at a flea market - mostly because I was slightly bemused by the strange combination of medals, which comprises;

War Commemorative Medal 1940-1941

Greek German (Army) 1941-1945 War Medal (Land Ops)

British 1939-45 Star

British Africa Star

British Italy Star

British War Medal

The group is well-mounted on an old brooch pin. (Sorry, no image - my camera has decided not to play today).

Does this group make sense to anyone? I have never heard of the Free Greek Army or Royal Hellenic Army being entitled to British awards and cannot imagine the circumstances under which these would be issued to a British serviceman. Can anybody help me resolve this mystery?

Many thanks,