News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with a Victorian badge

William of Orange was titled William III so would that be indicated on the badge?

I have a cross belt and pouch with a pouch badge to William IV see below. Don't you hate those intertwined and reversed cyphers?

Hi Stuart. Thanks for the very nice pic of the William IV pouch badge. However, I see your attachment is labelled "..post 1883.." but William IV reigned from 1830 to 1837, so it is much older than you have indicated !

Leigh : You could be correct, but I don't think so. As Stuart has pointed out, the "WR" should be accompanied with the "IV" as with his badge. Regards. Jeff

Jeff,

I am obviously missing something here as where did I mention 1883? William IV died in 1837.

Ah! I see the properties of the photo mention 1883, well I have no idea where that date came from! It certainly does not appear in my filename of that upload.

Cheers,

Stuart

Right, I think 1883(-1) is the number of uploads since mine and is not a date!

Stuart

Ooops sorry Stuart ! To be honest I was a bit confused when I saw it and thought it was a "slip of the pen", but should have known better. Very nice badge tho' my congratulations and best regards. Jeff

Jeff,

I notice that you put uniforms as an interest. Have you seen my thread Uniform ID in the same section as this? On page 2 when I last looked.

Any comments?

Stuart

Hi Stuart. Yes, (on your badge) Guelphic. As you probably know, many regiments including Artillery, Infantry, Cavalry, Militia, & Yeomanry, used this device on their horse furniture (usually cast brass), viz sabretasches and martingales etc. Invariably these only bore the garter motto "Honi Soit.." etc plus the Royal Cypher (as yours does), so it is very difficult to assign them to any particular regiment. Thankfully tho', some do have a regimental title or a recognisable device also.

Getting back to Garth's badge, one thought I had was that, being mounted on a dark green cloth, the "R" could stand for "Rifles" (or maybe just "Regiment") ? A real puzzler, but I think Scottish or foriegn "ex-pat" ?? Regards. Jeff

PS. Thanks Stuart, I have not done yet, but will have a look now. J

Edited by Jeff Mc William

Stuart. Have just got back from viewing and reading your Uniform ID thread. What a fantastic piece of research work you have done on this really obscure and wretchedly damaged portrait. I really cannot add anything to what has already been said except my sincere congratulations on some fine "detective work" and an incredible demonstration of your in-depth background knowledge. My congratulations to the restorer also on an excellent job well done. Sincerely Jeff