News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

79th Reg of Foot

Guest Darrell

I have an impressed medal for PTE Willaim Rose of the 79th Cameroons. Can anyone tell me if he's on the roll? It definitely doesn't look renamed.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott. these rolls are very faint. But under the 79th Foot ... it "appears" to be Willaim Rose? This is the only entry with possibilities.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

However, according to the Waterloo list located here:

http://www.britishmedals.us/resources/downloads.html

It appears there are two floating around. One in a museum and one that maybe a "duplicate"?

I have an impressed medal for PTE Willaim Rose of the 79th Cameroons. Can anyone tell me if he's on the roll? It definitely doesn't look renamed.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

You have a Waterloo Medal? :jumping:

I hope, when you are able, you will post an image for us to see it.

One of the many still on my loooooong wish list.

Regards

Brian

Cheers,

Scott

Copies of William Rose's Waterloo Medal have been offered for sale on on-line auction sites a few times in the last 18-24 months. Initially, I would be concerned that this may be one of those copies. Some of these copies show signs of a raised ridge running along the edge naming. I'd check it carefully.

Guest Darrell

Well ... it's nice people have the decency to at least "THANK" you for looking up details and information.

It won't happen again ....

Well ... it's nice people have the decency to at least "THANK" you for looking up details and information.

It won't happen again ....

Hi Darrell,

Some people think others are here to provide them with whatever they want and then leave without as much as a "thanks".

I guess we can forget about ever seeing a photo of the medal?

Perhaps there is a good reason for this apparent rudeness, time will tell.

It really makes one hesitant to help new members. :mad:

Regards

Brian

Guest Darrell

Brian I agree 100%. You could say ... well maybe he doesn't come here often, maybe he hasn't logged in to see the answers. Nope .. been here since.

Where I grew up ... if you asked for help and got it ... a "thanks" was always offered.

Only thing I can think of is he got burned by the copy (which based on the facts it is). I guess it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :cheers:

• 4 months later...

However, according to the Waterloo list located here:

http://www.britishme.../downloads.html

It appears there are two floating around. One in a museum and one that maybe a "duplicate"?

Hello Darrell,

Thank you for providing the link to the British Medals database - a very interesting and useful resource which I had not seen before.

I have a Waterloo Medal in my private collection (not shown on the database) and have sent pictures and detail of the medal to Kevin:

CoolingMedal.jpg

Medal is correctly named to (Private) George Cooling of the Royal Waggon Train. I have researched Cooling at Kew and found detail as follows:

Born: 1786 or 1787 at Bearton, Buckinghamshire

Army Service:

1809: Joined (Royal Wagon Train)

1814: Discharged, but re-enlisted seven months later.

1828: Imprisoned for 12 days after being found guilty by court martial (offence not recorded)

1832: Discharged to pension having served 24 years.

Awards:

Waterloo Medal: In the Waterloo Medal Book, George Cooling is listed under heading 'Royal Waggon Train' as a Private - Entry No 111

I have copies of his discharge papers showing that he was 'worn out'.