News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

INTERESTING NEW EQUIPMENT ?

Saw this in today's paper and thought what a good idea. The article is self explanatory, so will not go into the workings. I personally think it is a good idea - but, I have reservations !

Most of us on this Forum have had experience - in one form or another - of controlling suspects. Whilst I think this metal detector will have benefits, what happens if he/she turns violent when you are bending down. The detector is in the palm of the hand and will , surely, prevent a proper grip for control ? The same will also apply at other times - your left hand will be restricted . Could be useful for 'clumping' them around the ear - but then the cost will be charged to the P.C..

My thoughts would be that the detector should be on the wrist - and a probe run down to the area above the palm - this would give grip.

What do you think ?

Durban Tribune. ( and.... His helmet is not on straight ! )

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi Mervy,

I like the idea but it seems to tie up the hand as far as grip is concerned. Don't they issue Kevlar-lined leather gloves in the UK? They are slash and punture resistant, if not "proof". also if the officer finds a metal object in a pocket wouldn't they still have to retrieve it?

An interesting concept though.

A photo of some kevlar gloves showing the lining is below. At least with these you maintain total grip on the perp and if your checking pockets you are not far from a very delecate area is he (would have to be a he)gets a little out of control.

Of course the exterior of the pockets should always be felt before diving into a pocket and the suspect should be asked if there is anything in the pockets that you should be aware of, such as needles, blades and even fish hooks, yep, somtimes even fish hooks. :angry:

Regards

Brian