News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi All

Can anyone tell me if this tunic was the standard British issue for the Boer War. I have seen without pockets and this one with pockets? Is there a forum on the Boer War uniforms/tunic?

Does anyone know where to get the best repro for this tunic - sutlers.co.uk seem to be the best I can see?

8bf10066.jpg

Cheers Mike

Edited by fallschirmjager

Mike

This appears to be the pattern commonly worn by the Imperial Yeomanry. The infantry usually wore either the two-pocket serge, as in my Boer War serge topic, or the khaki drill pattern. I no longer have one of these, but here is a photo.

Regards,

W.

Top photo certainly looks like a member of one of the Australian Light Horse units, with the addition of the plume in the slouch hat. Khaki Drill uniforms are a minefield as there seems to be no set pattern at the beginning of the century as judged from the many photo's I've seen over the years. It makes you wonder if "private purchase" was in vogue for some units.

I agree with that, especially for the officers, there are all sorts of tunics out there! I still think sutlers is the best match but adding 2 lower pocket flaps, unless anyone else can give guidance on supplier?

Hes actually Scottish Horse but as you may know had loads of Aussies in ther ranks as well as the South Africans, Canadians, New Zealand and the odd Englishman (heaven forbid!). It was effectively a private army run under Kitchiner but with totally local conrol.

Also, I've been searching around for a copy or original example of that whip, so apart from the usual bondage stuff its pretty hard to get hold off. It seems very short, any horsepeople out there willing to comment on the whip?

Cheers Mike

Edited by fallschirmjager