News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNUSUAL PATTERN TRUNCHEON

Have just bought some interesting items - which cover a variety of service and ended up as an Inspector in the British South Africa Police - Rhodesia. His name was Brick Bryson and he wrote a book on his life - which included service with the Rhodesian contingent who joined the Royal Navy. I will try to find a suitable place to give some of his history and will - over the next week post some of the equipment. From when HMS Ceylon served in the Far East he kept an amount of Japanese occupied territories notes - including Burma and Indonesia. Not sure where to post these - Gordon - would you want them on the Japanese forum - or, coins and notes ?

Bryson - as I said was an Inspector - however, when the emergency was declared after U.D.I. - he was one of the Instructors for P.A.T.U.. These were an expert unit formed as a Police Anti Terrorist Unit. This unusual truncheon was obviouly his issue and it differs considerably from the British patterns. Firstly - the grip , almost moulded, has different ridges. The description says 'patented' - but it has the weight and feel of ebony. The other unusual feature is the fixing for the strap - unlike British ones which are tightened around a groove at the top, this one has a loop screwed into the very top. Actually, I think this makes it easier to use then a standard type. The overall length is 15.5 inches ( 45cm). From his PATU days there is also an interesting British WW2 steel helmet + the large camo cloth that was used to cover the head when lying in ambush. I may put this on our For Sale section , as we seem to have a lot of collectors for Rhodesia.

I'm going to add a little more of the Police material for Insp. Bryson. This will include some WW2 photos, which I feel show the patriotism which existed in those days. The cap and photos of his ship, I will post shortly under Ships.

This is the exWW2 South African and Rhodesian pattern steel helmet. The only difference from the British being three holes to hang camo. netting or, sun cloth from. These helmets were taken out of stores and issued to special Police units in the UDI period. The camo netting is Rhodesian issue and colours and was intended to give cover when they were in ambush. The camo is prob. worth more than the helmet.

The British Colonial spirit. For WW2 they gave up their farm. The Father - on right - was a Squadron Leader in command of one of Rhodesia's three squadrons. Mother became a corporal supervising parachute packing. His brother - on right - was a fighter pilot and was shot down over Germany and he was a P.O.W.- he was a Flt. Lt.. Brick Bryson joined the Royal Navy the day he turned 18 and served on the Colony class heavy cruiser - H.M.S. Ceylon. She was stationed in the Far East. He collected some Japanese occupied territories bank notes and I will show them under Coins.