News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

William Morris's Royal Artillery Visor

Thought some of you guys in the UK might find this interesting. It is a Royal Artillery visor that belonged to William Morris, Lord Nuffield, the founder of Morris Motor Company. He wore it in his position as honorary Colonel. Photos and story are up on our website: (here)

Thought some of you guys in the UK might find this interesting. It is a Royal Artillery visor that belonged to William Morris, Lord Nuffield, the founder of Morris Motor Company. He wore it in his position as honorary Colonel. Photos and story are up on our website: (here)

I noticed on the web site the cap is described as being black and red. It's actually blue and red, a very dark blue.

• 1 month later...

Brian,

it's difficult, but the dark blue of the Home Service Helmet can easily be mistaken for black. In fact I defy anyone even with good colour vision to define the Rifle Green as anything but black!

I certainly can't because I am colour blind :mad:

Stuart

The cap could do with a King's Crown version of the officer's badge, it's shown with an Other Ranks St Edward's Crown one, possibly a repro. one.

Given the impressions left by the previous badge / badges on the chinstrap, those west / east holes for previous badge fittings seem rather wide apart for the equivalent officer's badge.

NIce history though.

leigh,

i was wondering about the extra holes. i had not noticed that the crown on the badge and the crowns on the chinstrap buttons were different. we will have to look into finding the proper badge to see if the holes match up. it is a very high quality officer's cap, with a tag identifying lord nuffield as well as nuffield hand-written into the top of the cap. we also checked with the keeper of nuffield place, who believes this cap came from the uniform they have in their custody which is missing its cap.

It could be that perhaps the original King's Crown badge did sit higher than the current badge, hence the spacing between the holes.

If the original owner had occassion to wear the cap past about 1952, then perhaps the original badge was deliberately replaced with a St Edward's Crown version?