News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MEMORIES FROM WW2

I recenty posted - on Police - some history of an Inspector in the, now defunct, British South Africa Police . (Rhodesia.) However, in 1944 - at the age of 18 - he joined a contingent of young men from Rhodesia, who joined and served in the Royal Navy. He wrote and showed pictures from his service days in a very good autobiography - '50 Magic Years In Rhodesia ' - his name is Brick Bryson. I thought I would show a few details of his Naval service - already a period being forgotten. He is now 86 and in a nursing home having suffered a severe stroke.

The young Rhodesians were sent down to Durban for basic training - and having had six weeks to learn 'everything' they embarked on an old troopship for a dangerous trip to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). After disembarking they found themselves on board a new Colonial Class medium cruiser - H.M.S.CEYLON. She had heavy armament including nine 6 inch guns. He took part in a number of fleet actions against the Japanese forces - including in the Andaman Islands and the Nicobar Islands. British possessions which had been seized.

The cap was his original issue - however, the photo is dated 1945 so, the Captain must have immediately had the cap tallies changed when war ceased. HMS was on tallies during hostilities - not the ship name. This tally could have been paid for privately - it has raised bullion lettering, which is not standard issue. He was an AB and served in the middle gun on A turret.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

A FAMILY AT WAR : Bryson ; on top right - his Brother. A Flt.Lt in the RAF. Shot down and a POW. Mother - a corporal in charge of packing parachutes. On right : Father - a Squadron Leader and served in Europe in command of one of Rhodesia's three fighter squadrons.