News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchukuo Red Cross Medal

alex82

I finally got myself a Manchukuo red cross medal with the original case. Does someone know or can translate the text on and in the case?

best regards

a l e x

Cool!! I like these. Gee wiz though, they can be pricey!! I saw a ladies version a few days ago, and I saw a special members and certificate go a few months back for several hundred each. Yes, the seller broke the medal and the document up in hopes to make more money. (Pinhead in my opinion for doing that with a substantially uncommon set!! But I digress....) Fortunately, the same buyer was able to win both auctions.

Hi there

The red cross medals aren't on top of my search list but i got it for 130$ so I had to buy it. It's not easy to find this medal cased I belief, and I hope someone can translate the characters on it. Plus I will backpack travel through the manchurian region this summer for one month, visiting Puyi's palace in Hsinking (now Changchun), Port Arthur (Dalian), Mukden (Shenyang) and Harbin. So that's also a reason why I focused my historical reading and medal hunt on Manchukuo. I also hope I will find some interesting Museums were I can get pictures of medals to post here. beside, my next big project (comparable to your hunt for a Boxer Medal Dieter) will be finding a Manchurian Enthronement Commemmorative Medal.

cheers

a l e x

The characters are a woman's name (it is the same characters on the lid and inside). Also this case was used for Japanese Red Cross medals as well so I suspect it was put together with the Manchurian medal since a female recipient would have had a bow ribboned medal.

Still a nice medal though and getting hard to find.

Thank you very much Paul your expert opinion is always a gift! I thought the third character was different. So you think this is probably not the original case for this medal?

best regards

Hi there

The red cross medals aren't on top of my search list but i got it for 130$ so I had to buy it. It's not easy to find this medal cased I belief, and I hope someone can translate the characters on it. Plus I will backpack travel through the manchurian region this summer for one month, visiting Puyi's palace in Hsinking (now Changchun), Port Arthur (Dalian), Mukden (Shenyang) and Harbin. So that's also a reason why I focused my historical reading and medal hunt on Manchukuo. I also hope I will find some interesting Museums were I can get pictures of medals to post here. beside, my next big project (comparable to your hunt for a Boxer Medal Dieter) will be finding a Manchurian Enthronement Commemmorative Medal.

cheers

a l e x

I'm am super-interested in Port Arthur!! Gotta get oodles of pics.!!! jumping.gif

That Enthronement medal, as you know, is a lot harder to find than the Boxers!! I hope you can do it!! I've observed perhaps a dozen for sale over this past year, they seem to fetch in the $400-500 U.S. range for what I consider "average" quality pieces. Here is a pic. of a member's medal with the case and lapel pin, and a special member's medal, case and lapel pin (this was pricey!!). Wish I could claim them as my own!!! You can see they are different though, so my guess is the case you have is not original. The style seems probable, but no writing? They may not all have been marked though, I just don't know enough about 'em.

Hey Dieter

Thank you for the Pictures, interesting that they are so pricey! Maybe they came in different cases back then here is a now running auction from "imperialjapan" whit the same case as mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-JAPANESE-MANCHUKUO-GOLD-RED-CROSS-MEDAL-1894-CHINA-/360258863202?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e11a0062

Hey Dieter

Thank you for the Pictures, interesting that they are so pricey! Maybe they came in different cases back then here is a now running auction from "imperialjapan" whit the same case as mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item53e11a0062

Indeed!! But by my observations, these Manchukuo medals, especially like the special member's, etc. is like comparing the commonality of a Boxer medal to a China Incident medal!!! I have seen so very few over this past year. And with so few specimens of any type, you knows how many variations of case there could be. Yours could very well be an original!