News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War Work Pin from India 1914-1919

Hello Everyone,

I was going through one of my British India Medals drawers and came upon this pin at the very back of the drawer. I had forgotten that I had it though not to the point where I might had purchased a second one... I'm not that forgetful...yet.

This pin is "For Voluntary War Work In India 1914-1919". It's 24mm wide and 32mm in height. The fitted box is marked

H.M. MINT CALCUTA. Take a look and see if you don't agree that there is an elegance to this pin that the enameled pins and badges lack, for the most part.

Regards

Brian

This shows the box interior and the area where the pin rests. I really like the idea that they have made this so that the pin sits down into the box and flush with the box interior.

The interior shows a lot of age and was probably white when first made.

The bottom of the box is bevelled around the edges making it look nicer when sitting on any surface. I present the view of the bottom detail to point out the attention to detail on even a utilitarian object such as a pin box. Details that were common during the Great War era and before. An attention to detail that is missing in today's slam-bam world. Today it's maximize the profit and to hell with the small details, like customer service and quality.

End of sermon.

I hope you liked my little boxed pin, it is one of my favourite collectables.

Regards

Brian

I bought mine for the Art Nouveau flower, before I read what was on the badge. Still after a boxed one.

Pete

Edited by wood

I bought mine for the Art Nouveau flower, before I read what was on the badge. Still after a boxed one.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I never gave the style of the rose any thought. After years of watching Antiques Road Show you'd have though I'd have recognized Art Nouveau.

Well done Pete.

Regards

Brian

One of my other passions.

Don't think its a rose though. Indigenous Indian flower perhaps?

Pete

It must have been a rough day as I'm not sure why I wrote "rose" as I too think it is a different flower. I'll see if I can find out what it is. Hmmm...rose...now where did that come from...?

I wonder if it is a lotus, that would be more in keeping with India.

Regards

Brian

It must have been a rough day as I'm not sure why I wrote "rose" as I too think it is a different flower. I'll see if I can find out what it is. Hmmm...rose...now where did that come from...?

I wonder if it is a lotus, that would be more in keeping with India.

Regards

Brian

What a lovely piece! In many ways, those were better times.

I'm betting on a lotus from looking at the seed pods on the side. Any idea of the the criteria for award?

Best,

Hugh

What a lovely piece! In many ways, those were better times.

I'm betting on a lotus from looking at the seed pods on the side. Any idea of the the criteria for award?

Best,

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

No idea of the criteria but I am looking into it. When I got the pin I recall putting it in the drawer thinking I'd get to it later. Then the old memory decided to take a vacation on the subject and I never followed through with the research. If and when I find out I will post the information.

Regards

Brian

Hi - Brian. A very nice item and made more interesting with the original box. I agree with Hugh - almost certainly a Lotus. I would suspect that it would have been given for the volunteers like Canteen ladies etc. South Africa had such an award in WW2.