News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian WWI War Cross dated 1916 – 1919

Hello all this is my first posting and concerns a recent addition to my collection of a Romanian WWI War Cross dated 1916-1919.

See photos. Ribbon shows age and looks ok for a medal of this age. My concern is with the finish of the medal particularly on the reverse where it appears to have been filed. Also the ball suspender appears flatten. I can fine little reference on the net apart from one medal listed at the Liverpool Medal Company web site

http://www.liverpool...arce-L3158.html

Which shows a medal of less definition than the medal I have, but also with a flatten ball suspender.

Would appreciated any comments others can make

Regards Les from New Zealand

Hello all this is my first posting and concerns a recent addition to my collection of a Romanian WWI War Cross dated 1916-1919.

See photos. Ribbon shows age and looks ok for a medal of this age. My concern is with the finish of the medal particularly on the reverse where it appears to have been filed. Also the ball suspender appears flatten. I can fine little reference on the net apart from one medal listed at the Liverpool Medal Company web site

http://www.liverpool...arce-L3158.html

Which shows a medal of less definition than the medal I have, but also with a flatten ball suspender.

Would appreciated any comments others can make

Regards Les from New Zealand

Photo of reverse

Hallo Les, :jumping:

Your item is 100% ok.

The Romanian Cross of War came in two variations:-

1. 1916 - 1918

2. 1916 - 1919

The second variation was awarded to men of all ranks who served on after the end of WW1

in Campaigns into Transylvania, Hungary, the occupation of the Hungarian capital Budapest

and the occupation of areas of Romania such as Basarabia which too had been under the control of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

There are quite a few manufacturing variations with regards the top of the cross in both variations, where it joins the ribbon ring, ball, square, bent over in style and shape.

Many Officers Crosses can be found in gilt.

There are also a series of "battle bars" for the award.

Your ribbon is faded with time as well, with the green turning to a faded blue-green

and the black stripes to a dark blue..

Please see:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7352&view=findpost&p=252500

Kevin in Deva :beer:

and the occupation of areas of Romania such as Basarabia which too had been under the control of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

I have to give some details to avoid confusions. Bessarabia had been under the control of Russia between 1812 and 1918, when it reunited with Romania. It was Bukovina that had been under the control of Austria, but that province had also reunited with Romania in 1918. The 1919-1920 campaign in the east was against the bolshevik provocations along the border.

I have to give some details to avoid confusions. Bessarabia had been under the control of Russia between 1812 and 1918, when it reunited with Romania. It was Bukovina that had been under the control of Austria, but that province had also reunited with Romania in 1918. The 1919-1920 campaign in the east was against the bolshevik provocations along the border.

Hallo Carol I,

thanks for the correction with regards my post. :blush:

My mistake mixing up the locations.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Les,

Here's two that were for sale sometime back (not mine unfortunately). Besides the bars, note the suspension ball differences.

Tim

Thanks for all the information much appreciated, nice to know that the medal is OK.

Regards

Les from New Zealand