News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patched WW1 jacket question...

Hi,

I have a great new tunic with 5 badges

1) Sgt Stripe Left arm

2) 4th Div patch

3) 2 overseas stripes

4) Wound stripe

5) Red discharge chevron.

1)-3) were sewn on by the same person, someone who knew how to use a needle, with a series of "XXXXXXX" stiches.

4)-5) are done in clumsy stiches.

I assume this is more or less logical? A SGT just post war having the patch, sgt stripes and overseas chevrons done at the local tailor, then adding a wound and discharge stripe later?

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a great new tunic with 5 badges

1) Sgt Stripe Left arm

2) 4th Div patch

3) 2 overseas stripes

4) Wound stripe

5) Red discharge chevron.

1)-3) were sewn on by the same person, someone who knew how to use a needle, with a series of "XXXXXXX" stiches.

4)-5) are done in clumsy stiches.

I assume this is more or less logical? A SGT just post war having the patch, sgt stripes and overseas chevrons done at the local tailor, then adding a wound and discharge stripe later?

Thanks

Chris

Hey Chris!

No problem with that in my opinion. I have several patched tunics with different stiches on them. The discharge strip was not even put on in some cases until 1919, so the overseas stripes (and wound) would most likely be different.

Lets see this tunic! :)

Edited by Chris Liontas

Chris,

A few photos of mine for example. These tunics have been around and in collection since the early 70's, and were bought originally from the families; so I doubt they have been tampered with in any way. Each displays a different sewing style to every part of the uniform. It seems, troops would sew their insignia on in several stages, rank, OS stripes, SSI/discharge. So possibly, you can have three to four different thread types on one tunic.

The first set is PVT Frank Kudingo, 2nd Wisconsin then 107th Sanitary Train, 32nd Division

The OS stripes look like they are a greenish thread again, but different from the trade patch. It would make sense since Frank would have had one OS stripe, then replaced it with the two conjoined (rather than just add another)

Another tunic, belonging to Arthur Schaap 126th Infantry. Arthur went big with his 32nd SSI, which I am betting is post war around 1919, placed in Michigan for parades (etc). His SSI and Discharge sripe are the same white, individual, well placed stiches. His OS stripes are black thread and sewn in a different manner. Arthur would have placed these on in the hospital, as he was wounded twice right at the end of the 32nd's operations in the Argonne.

• 4 months later...

Hi Chris,

I was searching the net for my grandfathers military history and came across your forum. To my surprise I found my grand fathers name (Frank Kudingo) with his uniform on this forum. I remember seeing his uniform when I was child, and often wounder what happened to it. I remember my grandmother telling us that grandpa took care of the horses in the war. Are these uniforms in a museum? and if so where? Please respond back.

Thanks Dan Gordon

Chris,

A few photos of mine for example. These tunics have been around and in collection since the early 70's, and were bought originally from the families; so I doubt they have been tampered with in any way. Each displays a different sewing style to every part of the uniform. It seems, troops would sew their insignia on in several stages, rank, OS stripes, SSI/discharge. So possibly, you can have three to four different thread types on one tunic.

The first set is PVT Frank Kudingo, 2nd Wisconsin then 107th Sanitary Train, 32nd Division

Hi Chris,

I was searching the net for my grandfathers military history and came across your forum. To my surprise I found my grand fathers name (Frank Kudingo) with his uniform on this forum. I remember seeing his uniform when I was child, and often wounder what happened to it. I remember my grandmother telling us that grandpa took care of the horses in the war. Are these uniforms in a museum? and if so where? Please respond back.

Thanks Dan Gordon

Hi Dan! Very nice to meet you! Frank was in the 107th Sanitary Train of the 32nd Division during the war. He was a wagoner and most likely spent a lot of time with horses drawing supplies to the front lines/medical choke points. I dont have much of Frank's history in the war yet, but I have been writing the Wisconsin Vetran's Museum to find out more. Does your family still live in Wisconsin?

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for responding back so soon. My mother and brother are very excited that I found this on your post. The flood of emotion was so great with them, especially when they seen his picture I found on U.S. MilitariaForum. My mother said that she did not ever remember seeing this picture. She said that my grandfathers uniform had been stored in an old chest for many years, and was not sure what ever happened to it. The joy of seeing it taken care of so well, is an honor to him.

This is what I remember of grandpa Kudingo. His first marriage blessed him with one daughter who is now deceased. After his first marriage he met my grandmother Florence. They bought a farm just out side of Ladysmith Wis. where they raised six children. Four boys and two girls. He was a very hard working farmer with a lot of land to take care of. He was a family man and loved to have the family around him. Christmas was the most special time of year he enjoyed. I do not ever remember him talking about the war. He was a very proud Polish man who loved to eat. He died in December of 1963 in the old farmhouse with all of the family gathered around him. As I write this to you to you. I realize how much I have missed him…

He has one son still living in Ladysmith, one daughter living in Louisiana, and my mother in South Carolina. She told me that she would be willing to have you contact her for any information about grandpa. She has an email address if you wish to contact her. Or would be willing to talk to you by phone. She said that she has no interest in having the uniform. But was wondering how you came to procure it. Or was wondering if it is in amuseum.

Thank you, for taking good care of it. I know that see it is a blessing to my mom. She loved her dad and this has brought her joy beyond all imagination.

Sincerely

Dan Gordon

Hi Dan! Very nice to meet you! Frank was in the 107th Sanitary Train of the 32nd Division during the war. He was a wagoner and most likely spent a lot of time with horses drawing supplies to the front lines/medical choke points. I dont have much of Frank's history in the war yet, but I have been writing the Wisconsin Vetran's Museum to find out more. Does your family still live in Wisconsin?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for responding back so soon. My mother and brother are very excited that I found this on your post. The flood of emotion was so great with them, especially when they seen his picture I found on U.S. MilitariaForum. My mother said that she did not ever remember seeing this picture. She said that my grandfathers uniform had been stored in an old chest for many years, and was not sure what ever happened to it. The joy of seeing it taken care of so well, is an honor to him.

This is what I remember of grandpa Kudingo. His first marriage blessed him with one daughter who is now deceased. After his first marriage he met my grandmother Florence. They bought a farm just out side of Ladysmith Wis. where they raised six children. Four boys and two girls. He was a very hard working farmer with a lot of land to take care of. He was a family man and loved to have the family around him. Christmas was the most special time of year he enjoyed. I do not ever remember him talking about the war. He was a very proud Polish man who loved to eat. He died in December of 1963 in the old farmhouse with all of the family gathered around him. As I write this to you to you. I realize how much I have missed him…

He has one son still living in Ladysmith, one daughter living in Louisiana, and my mother in South Carolina. She told me that she would be willing to have you contact her for any information about grandpa. She has an email address if you wish to contact her. Or would be willing to talk to you by phone. She said that she has no interest in having the uniform. But was wondering how you came to procure it. Or was wondering if it is in amuseum.

Thank you, for taking good care of it. I know that see it is a blessing to my mom. She loved her dad and this has brought her joy beyond all imagination.

Sincerely

Dan Gordon

Hi Dan! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I sent you a PM.