News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Extraterrestrial In Meiningen—Named WHAT?

Given the unhappy fact that wartime award rolls were scribbled in almost microscopically ink-saving miniature

so that the ink simply blurs together…

having done well into six-figures of these, my eye and brain have become accustomed to the quirks of geriatric 19th century German penmanship.

But not THIS time.

I can not even GUESS what freakishly bizarre off-planet given name is intended here. Try this larger—but again the problem of blurred and skipped ink remains—

Herr Friedel’s first name clearly begins with an “A”—compare to “Albin” 3 names above his.

Next is either an “n” and “e” or “m” (compare with Hermann above him and Ernst below him)

Then what appears to be an “r” (Ernst again) and finally

The “gull wings” used to designate a “u” ending this moniker—

“Aneru”?

“Amru”?

Or… perhaps next to last is a “d” with the upstroke skipped (see Edgar at top) ending in the blotch “e” this clerk used for given names, as opposed to his c-shaped “e” in last names… and should note that he also did not ever put gull wings over “u” in family names—Stauch, Blaufuß, Bauersachs, Frauenberger.

There are a number of peculiar given names in the Meiningen SMM Roll, but literally nothing like this one, and nothing more legible to compare against.

Any other reading of this first name or examples of other people with the same freakish given name?

My thanks to Paul for posting this for me since I am not online. Rick Research