News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Request for help with identification please.

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up this Austro-Hungarian medal and cannot find any information about it.

I am thinking it is Austro-Hungarian due to the ribbon and the fact that Emperor Frnaz Joseph I is featured more prominently than the Kaiser.

It seems to be silver and I believe the ribbon is correct as the hanger device is a wire the shape of the ribbon with the ends hooked in a manner to grasp the medal's loop. The reverse shows a battle and around the top is the wording,

FELDZUG GEG. FRANKREICH, RUSSLAND, ENGLAND, U.S.W.

Feldzug (Campaign) Geg. (no idea) Frankreich (France) Russland (Russia) England (England of course) U.S.W (no idea)

The date 1914 is also on the reverse and the letters "M & W ST" appear just to the left of the fallen soldier.

All the dealer knew (his best guess) was that it is a Regimental Medal. I really liked this medal especially the scene on the reverse, now I need more information; information I can't seem to find.

Any help with the name of the medal, history and what GEG. and U.S.W. stands for would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure the date of 1914 pretty well places this medal as for some action in the early WWI era.

Regards

Brian

Hi.. I would say its a german patriotic medal. As first is mentioned germen emperor and after him FJI, also on the reverse side is in the middle german soldier (see pickelhaube on his head) holding german (prussian eagle) flag. Geg. is for "gegen" - against and u.s.w. could be "und so weiter" - etc.

Ribbon is in austro-hungarian trifold style, colours like for Leopoldsorden or "court jubilee cross 1908"... smile.gif But I dont think its original ribbon for this medal..

Edited by Iver

Hi.. I would say its a german patriotic medal. as first is mentioned germen emperor and after him FJI, also on the reverse side is in the middle german soldier (see pickelhaube on his head) golding german flag. Geg. is for "gegen" - against and u.s.w. could be !und so weiter" - etc.

Ribbon is in austro-hungarian trifold style, colours like for Leopoldsorden or "court jubilee cross 1908"... :)

Hi Iver,

Wow, that was a quick response, thank you so much for the information. I would suspect that this, being a patriotic medal, is why I could not find any information on it. I was looking in areas dealing with military medals and awards.

Would this have been worn on a medal bar with military medals? I would think "no" but I thought I would ask your opinion.

Also, are these fairly common?

Once again, thank you very much for the information.

Regards

Brian

Some kind of patriotic medal - but a really nice one , made of good material and a very nice style....

Iver is right with the translation , geg. means gegen (against) and usw is und so weiter (etc... and so on)

Sometimes you see these patriotic medals on medal bars , as well as the regimental medals or some jubilee rememberence medals , but not very often - don`t forget : this is not a official medal !

I think we will never know if this is the right ribbon for this medal or not....

Some kind of patriotic medal - but a really nice one , made of good material and a very nice style....

Iver is right with the translation , geg. means gegen (against) and usw is und so weiter (etc... and so on)

Sometimes you see these patriotic medals on medal bars , as well as the regimental medals or some jubilee rememberence medals , but not very often - don`t forget : this is not a official medal !

I think we will never know if this is the right ribbon for this medal or not....

Hello Heiko,

Yes, it is a nice design and of good quality.

I'm glad I purchased it for the collection even though it is unofficial.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

a real nice patriotic medal from the beginning of the Great war.

IMHO the medal is maybe not of austrian-hungarian but rather german manufacture:

Why:

1) Wilhelms inscription is the first you start reading

2)the suspension is german-style (Baden ? )

3) Backside. The battles mentioned (except Russia) are battles the german fought allone during 1914

Why not:

1)Kaiser Franz Joseph is full-face

2) triangular ribbon (Saxony ? )

regards

josef

PS_ are there any hallmarks? cause it looks like silver?

Edited by Josef Rietveld

Hello Josef,

I too thought (and still think) it is silver. The toning of the metal would lead me to think this.

However, there are no hallmarks anywhere on the medal.

Also thanks for your opinion that this is a German medal.

Hello Iver,

This medal now resides with my Imperial German collection thanks to you and other members.

I didn't mention it before but M&W St. is also on the obverse just between the bust of Emperor Franz Joseph I and the rim.

Regards to all.

Brian

• 5 months later...