News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Flags

Signalcorps45

Hello to all,

I picked these up from a veteran's daughter. Her father served in a US tank group in Europe in WWII and then again in the Korean War. I could not locate any information that he served in the Pacific during WWII. He may have picked these up on leave in Japan during the Korean War. Does anyone have any information on these flags? Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

Hello to all,

I picked these up from a veteran's daughter. Her father served in a US tank group in Europe in WWII and then again in the Korean War. I could not locate any information that he served in the Pacific during WWII. He may have picked these up on leave in Japan during the Korean War. Does anyone have any information on these flags? Any help would be appreciated.

Dean

The meatball is the national flag, widely used in the Army, but also by civilians. The meatball with rays is the naval ensign. The four color flag is the naval signal flag for the letter "Z".

Forgive me, but suspiciously new and clean looking.

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Hugh,

Thanks for the information. I have no idea where they came from. I suspected they were at least Post WWII or even modern flags. They are silk, the two smaller ones are 5" in height and 6" wide and the larger one is 6" in height and 8" wide.

Dean

Hugh,

Thanks for the information. I have no idea where they came from. I suspected they were at least Post WWII or even modern flags. They are silk, the two smaller ones are 5" in height and 6" wide and the larger one is 6" in height and 8" wide.

Dean

The 'Z' flag has the hiragana for MIKASA a famous gunboat from the Russo Japan war which currently sits just outside the US NAVAL base Yokosuka.

The 'Z' flag has the hiragana for MIKASA a famous gunboat from the Russo Japan war which currently sits just outside the US NAVAL base Yokosuka.

Mikasa is well worth a visit if you ever get to Yokosuka. When you compare it to the ships of today, it makes you humble.

JGUNTAI

So, the Japanese characters on the bottom left of the "Z" flag spell MIKASA.

Dean

You can buy the Mikasa flags:

http://www.kinenkan-mikasa.or.jp/shopping/index.html