News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt. N.G. Dobson RFC & Border Regt.

Hello,

I have the ID bracelet for Lt. Nathaniel George Dobson who died of wounds 6 days after the armistice was signed.

He started off the war as a Private in the Artists Rifles before being commissioned to the RFC.

At some point he left the RFC and was transferred to the Border Regiment where he held the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. He was wounded (don?t know where) while serving with the Borders, dying on 17.11.18.

Can anyone tell me when he joined or left the RFC and what he did while he was there? Was he a pilot?

Here?s a bit more of his background:

Aged 26 when he died, was the son of Nathaniel and Mary Dobson from Whitehaven, Cumberland. He was only entitled to the BWM and VM which are impressed to the Border Regiment. He also served in the Scottish Rifles and is buried at St. Sever Cemetery Extension in Rouen.

If anyone has his medal pair or plaque even, please give me first refusal if they ever come up for sale.

Tony

Tony,

Have you tried locating his service records at The National Archives mate? If you can't get there I can recommend a good researcher that can do it for a fee (and it isn't me!!). Failing that you can download his Medal Index Card for ?3.50. This will give you quite a bit of info that you don't appear to currently have.

Let me know if you need assistance with either of the above.

Rgds

Jon

Edited by jonny956

Jon,

I have his SDGW print out and MIC but it doesn't have much on there.

He served as 765288 Pte Dobson in the Artists, then commissioned to the RFC, then the Border Regt. and then the Scottish Rifles but his medals all have Border Regt. on them.

He only served in France but date entered theatre isn't there.

I'm waiting to hear from a researcher on a Somme casualty at the moment as I'm a bit too far away from the NA to do it myself, but please do let me have the name of the person you know.

Tony

Tony,

I have used the following chap on a couple of occasions and found him to be very good (some may say that he is a wee bit pricey);

http://www.militaryresearchon.com/

May I also suggest that you pop a thread stating that you are searching for his gongs on the following site aswell (there might even be someone off to TNA who could help further):

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/index.php

Rgds

Jon

• 3 months later...

Hello Jon,

Took your advice and ended up asking REME Technician (Kevin) if he?d do some research for me. His work was fast, brilliant and very cheap.

Now, here?s a quick run down on Nathanial George Dobson RFC who was residing in the Strand Palace hotel, London while in training with the RFC.

Attested 2nd December 1915 (Artist Rifles)

Army reserve 3rd December 1915

Mobilised 5th February 1917

Posted 5th February 1917

Discharged to commission 2nd Lieutenant RFC 9th June 1917

Joined RFC as a 2nd Lieutenant 12.6.17

After 8 ? hours training it was reported that he isn?t fit to fly.

Hope the scans come out clear enough

Edited by Tony

RFC discharge report dated 22nd September 1917 states he was medically examined on 17th August and found to be unfit for service as a pilot or observer due to nervous instability and should relinquish his commission.

As he was an engineer in civilian life, it was later suggested he joined the RE as a temp. 2nd Lieutenant. Somehow he ended up in the Border Regt attached to the 1st Cameronians, He was transferred back to the infantry on 3rd November 1917.

Below is a report from August.

Edited by Tony

Nathanial Dobson arrived in Boulogne as a reinforcement officer on 15th Oct. 1918 and joined his unit on the 21st October.

On 23rd October 1918 after just two days service with his new unit and only 19 days before the end of the war, he was wounded in action; gunshot wounds to the left leg and both arms, the right arm being amputated above the elbow.

Telegraph from 2.11.18 states shrapnel wounds to leg, arms and face, still very ill.

Was in No. 45 CCS which was in Bihecourt (near St. Quentin) I believe before being moved to No. 8 General Hospital, Rouen.

Post office telegraph from M.O. Rouen hospital says Lt. Dobson Royal Air Force, died of his wounds at 0815 on 17.11.18

He had flying instruction in a N.F.S.H.

Does anyone know what sort of aeroplane that is?

Tony

Rick,

The story gets worse (I have his full file), they needed several years to sort out his estate, there are letters saying the next of kin can apply to visit him in hospital in France and after the application was made, the refusal was sent.

There's also a letter from home asking what has happened to his kit which was handed in to the QMS in France on 21.10.18. Spelling mistakes in his name but as you say, one of the millions.