News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Syria Medal Order of Bravery 1964

Linasl

Greetings All.

I have a pair of medals that I believe are Syria Medal Order of Bravery for the 1964 Arab-Israeli War , but I am not sure. I would appreciate AS MUCH information about this medal as possible; first verifying that my identification is correct, what specific organization issued it, who qualified to receive it, when it was created, who made it, etc.

Also, I have two - one smaller than the other. Are they 1st Class and 2nd Class? Also, on the larger one there is a Star - what does this mean.

Every tidbit of information will be useful.

I have attached a Low Resolution photo of the smaller medal here on the forum, but I have three High Resolution photos on PhotoBucket, at the following link:

http://s752.photobuc...20of%20Bravery/

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Take care. Linas

Linas, These are very common pieces - see my notes below, egards, Owain.

Obverse An eight pointed multi rayed star with a central circular medallion. The upper half is an inverted crescent whilst the bottom half has a green enamel wreath of laurels tied at the base. In the centre an armed cavalry man astride a galloping horse, below which is the inscription in black, “Order of Bravery”

Reverse Blank.

Classes Three.

Size 1st Class 60 mm diameter.

2nd Class 50 mm diameter

3rd Class 40 mm diameter

Metal Bronze.

Ribbon 36 mm blue ribbon with three 4 mm white stripes, each of which have a central 1 mm red stripe. A bronze oak leaf is worn on the ribbon to indicate further awards.

Suspension By a small wreath affixed to the uppermost point of the star.

Instituted Legislative Decree # 15, 20th July 1964.

This medal is awarded to members of the Syrian Armed Forces who display courage and valour during military operations. Award of the medal was to be extended in 1976 to also include civilians and foreigners. The three classes are awarded as follows:

First Usually officers.

Second Usually Non Commissioned Officers.

Third For soldiers and others

The Order of Bravery may also be awarded for displaying courage in the public interest and for carrying out exceptional activities and public services in favour of the State or the display of self sacrifice in saving life, property or national wealth.