News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RARE EARLY POCKET PISTOL

Mervyn Mitton

Small flintlock, and later in the 19th. Century, percussion cap, pocket pistols have been with us for a long time. The uncertainties and crime of those early days - and an absence of an adequate police force - ensured that you carried a weapon for self defence.

Should you be lucky to have a coach or, a horse - then you could carry heavy pistols, swords and carbines. However, it was dangerous to even walk in the main streets of London and so a small pistol in your pocket might be the saving of your life. Light swords were carried for the same purpose.

I showed a little time back, a pair of matched pocket pistols - these had the slab sides to lay flat in the pockets. They were also of quite a large bore.

This beautifully made little pistol - only just over 5 inches overall (13cm) - had the same purpose of concealment, but was intended for a lady.

How can we tell this with just a quick look - the trigger guard is too small for a man's finger to fit comfortably. Also, the quality and the high decoration give it a feminine appearance. Note the lovely silver filigree inset into the walnut stock - that is workmanship of a high order.

The other unusual feature is the brass moulded grotesque mask at the base of the ball grip - this would have been gilt originally. This is not rare -but, is another sign of quality.

The unusual thing is that there is no maker's mark - or, indeed any identification. This leads me to think that it may be of Spanish origin - however, the feel is for it to be English. I will be interested to hear what our experts think ?

Being made for the protection of a Lady - these bacame known as 'Muff Pistols'. Part of the dress in Georgian and early Victorian times was that a small muff - or, hand warmer - was carried and this concealed the pistol, which would have been in an inner pocket. Handbags developed from these muffs.

Altogether , a very nice - and collectable - firearm.

A great looking pistol Mervyn, I wish I knew even the slightest about these old weapons but I don't.

Would a lady keep it cocked, is there any danger of it going off unexpectedly and where did you find it?

Tony

The copper percussion cap had to be kept on the nipple - ready for the hammer to come down. It was normal practise for the hammer to have a halfway position and also right back, ready for firing when the trigger was pulled. The half way position was it's safety - however, drop the weapon and there was a high possibility of it firing. Hence the old expression ' don't go off half cocked' - meaning get your facts right.

This was brought into the shop - so I don't know any of it's history. However, I think it is an interesting and beautifully made little piece.

This was brought into the shop - so I don't know any of it's history. However, I think it is an interesting and beautifully made little piece.

I agree entirely and I'd say it's something my wife wouldn't mind having.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi. Its a lovely little pistol. I do not think its English though....The banding on the barrels and the filigree work are definitely Spanish in origin. The lions head on the butt altho seen on some English pistols doesnt have an English look!! The main identifier is the banding on the barrell. I have never seen any English or Irish pistol with this on. Do you think its an earlier pistol thats been converted from Flint to percussion?

No, I don't think it's a conversion. I agree with you that it is probably Spanish - although there is that 'feel' of it being English. We had a strong presence in Minorca - and of course, Gibralter at that time - the possibility is that it was made as a pair for an English Lady and this may have influenced the style.