News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bookends

speagle

The shells were brought home from France after WW I by my Grandfather. We made book end out of them sometime later. I'd appreciate any help in ID'ing the markings.

Edited by speagle

The shells were brought home from France after WW I by my Grandfather. We made book end out of them sometime later. I'd appreciate any help in ID'ing the markings.

Another shot with R D on the nose.

What are the dimensions?

Can the shells be unscrewed so we can see the markings on the base - that is the best way of identifying them.

Michael,

I'll have to do a little "surgery" on the base. It has a glued felt base covering the screw, but I can get to it. Give me a day or two and I'll get the info posted with pics. Thanks for responding.

Ed

What are the dimensions?

Can the shells be unscrewed so we can see the markings on the base - that is the best way of identifying them.

Here are some pics. I think you'll be able to see the marking clearly. If not please ask. Diameter of base is 1 3/4"

Ed

Here are some pics. I think you'll be able to see the marking clearly. If not please ask. Diameter of base is 1 3/4"

Ed

Not my area of expertise, but that looks like a variation of the US Ordnance Corps "bomb" marking at the 1:00 position, though it could be a French marking. It is not typical for the US ones I have seen, but..... I wonder if the 37-85 at the 10:00 position doesn't signify 37mm, 85mm long case. I bet the 1.17 and the 8.17 at the 3:00 positions are the month and date of production. However, the other lettering and markings are unknown to me, and don't look like typical US markings. Therefore, my guess is a 37mm shell, possibly French. I'm just guessing and have no real knowledge in this area.

It would still be helpful to have the measurements, as Michael asked for. Need size across the mouth of the shell, and height of the shell.

But, I could be totally wrong, and it could be Romulan or Klingon..... Doc

Edited by Doc

Not my area of expertise, but that looks like a variation of the US Ordnance Corps "bomb" marking at the 1:00 position, though it could be a French marking. It is not typical for the US ones I have seen, but..... I wonder if the 37-85 at the 10:00 position doesn't signify 37mm, 85mm long case. I bet the 1.17 and the 8.17 at the 3:00 positions are the month and date of production. However, the other lettering and markings are unknown to me, and don't look like typical US markings. Therefore, my guess is a 37mm shell, possibly French. I'm just guessing and have no real knowledge in this area.

It would still be helpful to have the measurements, as Michael asked for. Need size across the mouth of the shell, and height of the shell.

But, I could be totally wrong, and it could be Romulan or Klingon..... Doc

MEASUREMENTS:

Shell: (as indicated in picture above): 4 inches

Casing diameter: 1 3/4"

Total length (shell and casing): 6 1/2"

MEASUREMENTS:

Shell: (as indicated in picture above): 4 inches

Casing diameter: 1 3/4"

Total length (shell and casing): 6 1/2"

There is a photo at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30213 which looks a lot like your shell (even to the driving bands on the projectile), and which is labeled as a French 37mm. Posting #10, middle shell. However, I am confused as, if it is a 37mm, the diameter across the open mouth of the shell should be about 1.5", not 1.75" as you have it noted.

Like I said, not my area. I hope one of the artillery experts will weigh in. You may want to post this request on the Great War Forum, as there are some artillery experts there. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Good luck.