News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese ribbon bars

Noor

Hi,

Here are some of my new bars what I received and I would like to query few things. I managed (with some help from Paul) to ID most of the ribbons on them, did I have them correctly listed?

Now, the hardest part to me – because I do not know much about the Japanese Army, they awarding regulations, etc, maybe some of you, who have stronger focus to this country and can help to “read” them.

001. Two Row set of six

1. Order of the Golden Kite

2. Order of the Rising Sun

3. 1904-1905 Russo – Japanese War Medal, March 1906

4. Taisyou Emperor Enthronement Commemorative Medal (1915)

5. Showa Enthronement Commemorative Medal, "Showa era 3rd Year 11th Month" (November, 1928)

6. Red Cross Medal/Order of Merit

To me it’s look like old bar for a brave combat NCO or Junior Officer (Order of the Golden Kite, Order of the Rising Sun), who took part of Russo – Japanese War (1904-1905 Russo – Japanese War Medal).

16471571cee30a_l.jpg

002. Two row set of five

1. 1914-1920 War Medal, "Taisho era 3rd-9th Years War" (1914-1920), actions in Siberia up to 1922.

2. 1931-1934 Manchurian Incident War Medal

3. Taisyou Emperor Enthronement Commemorative Medal (1915)

4. Showa Enthronement Commemorative Medal, "Showa era 3rd Year 11th Month" (November, 1928)

5. Red Cross Medal/Order of Merit

I guess owner of this set was a career soldier/NCO (missing military orders), who took part of conflicts from 1914 up to 1930s (1914-1920 War Medal, 1931-1934 Manchurian Incident War Medal). What were entitlements for enthronements medals – did all the personnel who was in active service got it (I think they are pretty common awards) and some civil officials as well?

1914-1920 War Medal - These medals were made to commemorate Japanese participation in World War I. Imperial Edict No. 203 of 6 November 1915 established this commemorative medal. The 1914-15 type was awarded to Japanese personnel who captured the German colony of Tsing-Tao and the German held Pacific islands in 1914-15.

The 1914-20 type was awarded to Japanese who participated in the 1917-18 actions of WWI where Japanese were present (the destroyer squadrons in the Mediterranean) and to those that disembarked in Siberia after the Bolshevik Revolution occupying Vladivostok until 1922. How common is this award?

16471573fa336a_l.jpg

003. Set of four

1. Order of the Golden Kite

2. Order of the Rising Sun

3. Red Cross Medal/Order of Merit

4. Manchurian Border Incident War Medal, 1939

Interesting combination. Like I understand owner was a combat person (only way to get Order of the Golden Kite). I am thinking that this is probably early 1939-40 period ribbon bar because the Manchurian Border Incident War Medal on it?

Manchurian Border Incident War Medal was awarded to Japanese military participating in the fighting with Soviet Russian forces near the village of Nomonhan on the Russian-Manchurian border in the summer of 1939 (the Soviet Union referred to it as the Battle of Khalkhin Gol). Soviet forces under Lt. General (later Marshal) Zhukov inflicted a decisive defeat of Japanese and Manchukuoan forces. Is it correct medal entitlement or Japanese 6th Army (?) personnel, who were in this region in 1939, were entitled for that?

164715776e0a36_l.jpg

004. Set of four

1. Order of the Rising Sun

2. 1900 “Boxer Rebellion” War Medal, April 1901

3. 1904-1905 Russo – Japanese War Medal, March 1906

4. Red Cross Medal/Order of Merit

Owner of this bar saw action in China 1900-1901, when the Japanese Government sent an infantry Division to join the Allied Relief Expedition during Boxer Rebellion. 1900 “Boxer Rebellion” War Medal were instituted by Imperial Edict No. 142 on April 21, 1901 ordering a commemorative medal for those who had participated in the relief of the Beijing legations during the Boxer Rebellion.

Also owner of this set took part Russo – Japanese war few years later. Career NCO?

1647157984eec4_l.jpg

005. Set of four

2. Order of the Sacred Treasure

3. Order of the Golden Kite (wrong place???)

I am not 100% sure about the combination – can these two first awards on it indicate that the owner of this set was combat person? Especially Order of the Sacred Treasure entitlements are not known to me. Can it be more for long service award?

16471581aeef9c_l.jpg

Any feedback of these sets would be great.

Also if any of you have some another type of Japanese ribbon bars to share, please post them up!

Edited by Noor

005. Set of four

2. Order of the Sacred Treasure

3. Order of the Golden Kite (wrong place???)

I am not 100% sure about the combination – can these two first awards on it indicate that the owner of this set was combat person? Especially Order of the Sacred Treasure entitlements are not known to me. Can it be more for long service award?

16471581aeef9c_l.jpg

Any feedback of these sets would be great.

Also if any of you have some another type of Japanese ribbon bars to share, please post them up!

Thanks for sharing!! I'm no expert on ribbon bars, but I think you are right - this 5th bar would have been a military award with the Golden Kite, and if I understand correctly the Rising Sun here would be the highest class of order followed by the Sacred Treasure, and lastly the GK. (EX: 5th class Rising Sun, 6th Class Sacred Treasure, 7th Class Golden Kite). And again, I think you're right - length of service can be a criteria for the Sacred Treasure. The Rising Sun preceding the Sacred Treasure could also indicate that they'd be the same class - and these would have to be at least 6th class to top out the Golden Kite.

You should check out Rich Catalano's new medals eBook (part II) as it has a nice explanation about the order and the wearing of ribbon bars.

I've only got these 3 - I think this first one is O.K. - I really like the National Census Medal, and this bar had one so I picked it up. The China Incident bar is faded or something as the colors are kinda strange as compared to the medal's ribbon:

Edited by Dieter3

This one is somewhat suspicious - I think the actual metal retainer is authentic - but Paul had pointed out to me previously that these represent a long service - and it is missing a Sacred Treasure bar which seems not right for a 40-year span of time! Overall, the ribbons are quite nice - the Boxer ribbon is REALLY nice, which makes me think it is replica, or was at least replaced by the recipient at some point. Still, I really like the bar but can't honestly say it is 100% original/authentic.