News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help to ID branch of service - Artillery or Sappers?

Please help to identify branch of service of this soldier.

I assume here we have a Pionier from the 1.Elsaessisches Pionier-Bataillon Nr.15 (XV Armee Korps) based in Strassburg i.E. All the details of his uniform match my guess (e.g. collar colour, M1867 Feldmütze colour scheme, etc.) as well as the place where the photo was taken. The only thing that wonders me is his saber uncommon for sappers.

One of my colleagues contests my point of view supposing it's a Kanonier from a certain Reitende-Artillerie unit with an Artilleriesabel.

Who is right?

... One of my colleagues contests my point of view supposing it's a Kanonier from a certain Reitende-Artillerie unit with an Artilleriesabel.

Hi,

yes I think so too, so possible is the 1. Ober-Elsässisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.15 (in Strassburg, XV. AK with red shoulderboards).

And after 1912 in Saarburg/Mörchingen (XXI. AK) with green shoulderboards.

Best regards, cheers.gif

Jens

I agree, the saber doesn't seem to fit, plus it looks like he might have spurs on too.

Looking through the field artillery regiments, it looks like all the numbered regiments have an exploding bomb on their shoulder straps, which I don't see here.

I thought about the 1. Ober-Elsässisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.15 also, but my reference says they had green shoulder straps and there should be an exploding bomb on there.

Of course, the artist could have painted anything they wanted to, so there's no guarantee how accurate the painting is.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

.... but my reference says they had green shoulder straps and there should be an exploding bomb on there.

Hi Mike

the FAR Nr.15 change around 1912 from the XV. Armeekorps (with red shoulderboards) to the XXI. AK (with green shoulderboards).

And before 1897 are shoulderboards without exploding bomb possible (and also a not accurate painting).

Best regards, beer.gif

Jens

Hi, Jens,

Thank you for the clarification, I don't have any real information on the shoulder straps. I wish they'd left well enough alone and didn't change things areound! It's confusing enough without changes! :whistle:

Hi Mike,

yes, sometimes it's really confusing. ;) My great-great-grandfather was in the FAR15 (Strassburg) and on a big picture

(before 1885) he wear a shoulderboard without exploding bomb (just a "15")!

Best regards, beer.gif

Jens

Hi, I'm not sure - but I think: Artillerie-Säbel (neuer Art): Die Zietenhusaren - Rathenow - Blankwaffen - Artilleriesäbel

Best regards, cheers.gif

Jens

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the German language but it seems that saber from that link is of the later production while the CDV was made in 1880s...

Edited by Freiwillige