News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mervyn asked me "The records show only 15 men after 1905 - but, I can't find their strength for 1899 to 1902. Would you have any ref. book that would assist ?" well I found a good site -

http://www.angloboer...39-natal-guides and a photo in one of my reference books showing officers and NCOs wearing the "Pith Hat." Now the term Pith Hat can mean many things but there was such a helmet photographed in the 1900 Dress Regulations. It has no description as to where it was to be worn and I have wondered for years about this.

The Natal Guides do seem to be wearing this style of helmet, or at least a few, (see next post). Anyone any information or ideas on this?

Stuart

post-1883-095725900 1287267560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuart Bates

Thankyou for this post, Stuart. They were all local men and were given the rank of Sgt. - they were attached to British Units and their purpose was to help them get around in unknown country. I was in the negotiating stage for one of their medals - however, I think the family have changed their mind.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

The accompanying photograph is from a book on the Siege of Ladysmith.

post-5077-094521700 1287729483_thumb.jpg

The caption reads:

Major Henderson and scouts, who as guides, led the Gun Hill expedition on the night of December 8, when one "Long Tom" and one 4.7 gun were destroyed, and one Maxim captured. The long cleaning rod was that used by the Boer gunners.

Major D Henderson was the Officer Commanding the Natal Guides during the Boer War. The group in this photograph was besieged in Ladysmith, but other Guides took part in the relief operations.

Brett