News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MET. POLICE 150th. COMM. PLATES - RARE

post-6209-086117900 1287416281_thumb.jpg

When the Metropolitan Police first marched out of New Scotland Yard in 1829, few people thought that they were to become the forerunner of all other main civilian Police Forces. However, this was to be the case and although some people try to claim other Forces were first, none had the importance or, influence of the London Force. The very fact that they are administered by the Home Secretary (despite some changes in this authority) shows the importance attached to the Force.

The numbers of Sworn officers and Constables now approaches 35,000 men and women - and in addition, we must not forget the additional 20/25,000 Civilian employees who assist in many office posts.

2010 marked the 181 st. year of the founding - however, the 100th and 150th. were the important anniversaries. 1929 was the 100th. and all men received a printed scroll showing the achievements of the force. These are now very sought after and quite rare. I will add one to this thread at a later time.

For the 150th. Wedgewood - the famous pottery, were asked to produce a number of commemorative plates. The first design was reserved only for Senior Officers and only 500 were made - they were quickly bought and I have never even seen one - only a picture. The one I show above was for general sale and only 2500 were produced. They were sold only to serving Police and were finished in days. The final smaller type, had 5000 made and again were sold only within the Met. . All were in the famous blue jasper that made Wedgewood famous and had gilt finish - they are properly named on the reverse. All three types are very rare and I was fortunate - with the help of a friend who was still serving - to buy types 2 and 3.. They have probably appreciated a lot since 1979.

• 4 months later...

Craig - this is a very nice First Day Cover - and hand cancelled with a police stamp. I can't read the where it was stamped - could you show a close-up ? The whole of the 1979 celebrations were low key and I would think this could be quite a rare item.

When you say you 'were still at school' it makes one realise how relentless is the passing of time ! I left in 1974 to take over our family business when my Father died unexpectedly - however, 'H' Division staged a major exhibition at Toynbee Hall to mark the occasion and I lent the majority of exhibits from my collection.