News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear learned Gentlemen,

What was the order of seniority on medal bars in Imperial Germany? I have gleaned from this website so far that senior Prussian medals came first, followed by other senior medals, followed by less seniors, long service, campaign and centenary medals, with foreigners at the end. But I suspect the true answer to be a lot more complex than that with other states (Bavaria, Saxony etc) wearing their medals first, orders changing over the years and some medal bars just being wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

There is/was a specific order but it was not always followed. The EK was always first followed by war decorations, peacetime and then foreign awards. I think it was Prussian, Bavarian, Saxon, Wurttemberg followed by the smaller states.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that very quick and helpful response. That's roughly what I was figuring.

On the "not always followed" bit, to what extent could recipients vary their medals order? I notice Bavarians and Saxons sometimes wearing their state medals in front of the EK2 and other Prussian awards. To what extent was this authorised by their own war ministries or was that just personal preference? Did that also apply to Wuerttmebergers, Badeners and Hessians?

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

I think your question will result in a major headache for you as it always does for me!

Some states had regulations & others did not hence Mecklenburg-Schwerin made stipulations while Mecklenburg-Strelitz did not.

Beyond that - the regulations changed over time as did the meaning of terms used therein - example: was a foreigner in the Prussian regulations of 1861 still a foreigner after the establishment of the Second Empire? Example - was a citizen of Saxony a foreigner in 1865? How about in 1915??? I honestly do not know and personally beg for enlightenment on this but to date none has come forth for me!

I do know that Bavaria & Saxony wore their decorations ahead of all others including the Iron Cross 2nd Class during the period of WWI. The same individuals were not allowed to do so later.

Wurttemberg, on the other hand did not place its orders ahead of the EKII but had the most twisted set of regulations imaginable!

Mecklenburg-Schwerin & I suspect many of the other smaller states tended to place their ODM right behind those of Prussia.

My suspicion is that beyond that - the regulations did not specify allowing the wearer to decide on personal preference, his perceived concept of the relative importance of his stuff or chronological order (as stipulated after the war).

I invite your attention to the following link - right here on GMIC that will shed some light & I'm sure, some confusion on the matter!

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?app=gallery&module=cats&do=sc&cat=23

Regards,

wem

Hi Wem,

Thanks, for the explanation there. I suspected it was going to be that complex but what you're saying is starting to explain some of the bars I've seen. Then again this topic would be no fun if it wasn't so confusing.

Ah, I've just noticed there's more clues over at this excellent thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31638&st=0 , written by your good self, Paul.

Sadly the link you offered me, Wem and the link inside the thread I mentioned is not accesible to me as a lowly junior member.:( What do I have to do to qualify myself for access to those parts of the site? Let me guess, is it 9 years service at the forum?:lol:

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

The requirement for full membership is, I think - 150 approved posts.

The other alternative is to become a subscribing member.

All is explained at the top of the "forum tree" under rules & regulations or something to that effect.

Wayne

Hi Wem,

Thanks, for the explanation there. I suspected it was going to be that complex but what you're saying is starting to explain some of the bars I've seen. Then again this topic would be no fun if it wasn't so confusing.

Ah, I've just noticed there's more clues over at this excellent thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31638&st=0 , written by your good self, Paul.

Sadly the link you offered me, Wem and the link inside the thread I mentioned is not accesible to me as a lowly junior member.:( What do I have to do to qualify myself for access to those parts of the site? Let me guess, is it 9 years service at the forum?:lol:

Cheers

Chris