News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with an 1880 Rifle round

FrontlineAntiques

Hi Chaps

I picked up these little beauties on an old range near my home in Yorkshire along with several Snyder-Enfield and Martini Henry rounds. Any ideas what they are exactly. They are slightly larger than .22, but not quite .25. Lead with a copper jacket (degraded away).

Thanks

Dan

post-1812-081066300 1288609566_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dan - I've looked several times at these slugs and the size is baffling. However, you mention Snyder and Martini Henry rounds in the same location. The Martini rifle was produced in a smaller version and with a reduced bore for Cadets - we used them at Geelong in Melbourne back in the early 50's. Perhaps some research might turn up some info. on the bore size ? Word of warning - remember they are lead and wash your hands ! ( gee - I'm beginning to sound old !)

ps. Do you collect old ammo. ? I have a jar of .577/.45 slugs picked up years ago on the battlefield of Isandlawana. If you have a good collection I might send you one ...........

• 3 months later...

ps. Do you collect old ammo. ? I have a jar of .577/.45 slugs picked up years ago on the battlefield of Isandlawana. If you have a good collection I might send you one ...........

Hi Mervyn

Just going through some of my old posts (up at 4.30 am with the baby!) and noticed this one had slipped through the net

I do have a small collection of ammo, mostly items that have been given to me or picked up in odd little shops...

If the offer still stands for a slug I would be more than grateful! :beer:

All the best

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

If this range was in use by trainees in WWI I suggest they may be .276 Arisaka bullets. We purchased large quantities of Japanese Arisaka rifles in 1915 for the New Armies and the Royal Navy.

Regards

TonyE

Sorry, there is a typo in the above. The calibre should be ".256" not ".276" inch.

Also, I have attached a photo of the round.

Regards

TonyE