News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British 1821 pattern

ph3s

Hi gents, I got my first British sword today, :jumping: Infantry officer 1821 pattern (I belive)

It has number punched on the side. I can't find any info and a copy of book I have ordered hasn't arrive yet.

Would you help me please? What is this number?

post-9307-061888300 1289324362_thumb.jpg

post-9307-005949400 1289324381_thumb.jpg

Hi gents, I got my first British sword today, :jumping: Infantry officer 1821 pattern (I belive)

It has number punched on the side. I can't find any info and a copy of book I have ordered hasn't arrive yet.

Would you help me please? What is this number?

It is an officer's sword, but not for infantry. It is hard to tell without measurements or photos of the blade decoration, but it appears to be a Pattern 1821 Royal Artillery Officer's Sword (or maybe Army Service Corps). Can you provide more photos of the blade decoration including any maker/retailer information? If it is a Wilkinson sword then the serial number is tied to an entry in the Wilkinson Proof Ledger which may reveal information about the original owner. Also, if this is a Wilkinson the serial number would date the sword to the period 1914-17.

Thank you gentlemen,

:cheers:

It is Wilkinson made .

the blade is 89cm of steel from top to bottom

all over it's 106 cm

no glue on blade decoration. And it's not sight as well

Please see attachments for the etching

post-9307-051547400 1289402909_thumb.jpg

post-9307-004680200 1289402922_thumb.jpg

Is there any other etching on the blade that might say "Royal Artillery", or any other symbols? Since it is a Wilkinson you can send an enquiry to ArmsResearch.co.uk, and for a small fee (~15 GBP) you can find out if there is an entry in the proof book for your serial number. Hopefully there will be an entry and you can learn the name of the original owner.

Based on the period of manufacture I would guess that your sword is for a Royal Artillery officer, and based on the blade length probably Royal Horse Artillery.

Edited by Jonathan Hopkins

Is there any other etching on the blade that might say "Royal Artillery", or any other symbols? Since it is a Wilkinson you can send an enquiry to ArmsResearch.co.uk, and for a small fee (~15 GBP) you can find out if there is an entry in the proof book for your serial number. Hopefully there will be an entry and you can learn the name of the original owner.

Based on the period of manufacture I would guess that your sword is for a Royal Artillery officer, and based on the blade length probably Royal Horse Artillery.

No nothing else to show any kind of info, I have seen the bladges with Royal Artilery on it, but mine is just plaint one.

Thank you for the hint:beer:

No nothing else to show any kind of info, I have seen the bladges with Royal Artilery on it, but mine is just plaint one.

Thank you for the hint:beer:

That is very interesting. Please do send a request to ArmsResearch.co.uk and share your findings! :) Congratulations on a nice sword!

Out of curiosity, what book did you order?

Edited by Jonathan Hopkins

thank you, your help is appreciated, I'll get the research in couple of weeks.

the book is

British Military Swords

1796 - 1912

The Regulation Patterns

An Illustrated Price Guide for Collectors

by

Harvey J.S.Withers

damn it :speechless:, what do yo think is something about mine gonna be in there?

Edited by ph3s