News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Six-Document Grouping:

Hello to all,

Here is a nice six document grouping that I picked up recently. The guy started out in the enlisted ranks and eventually became commissioned as a Leutnant.

From his enlistment acceptance slip, it appears that he was supposedly going into the Navy:

post-4142-078886800 1289334463_thumb.jpg

He ended up in the Army and was assigned to the Infantry Howitzer Company of Infantry Regiment 321. His Black Wound Badge document is signed by the Regimental Commander, but I have yet to identify the signature.

Does anyone know who the Regimental Commander was at this time?

post-4142-046094900 1289334549_thumb.jpg

The guy is an Unteroffizier when he receives his Silver Infantry Assault Badge and he is still in the same unit: the Infantry Howitzer Company of Infantry Regiment 321. The document is signed by the Regimental Commander, but a new one. Again, I have yet to identify this signature. Does anyone know this one?

post-4142-050609500 1289334767_thumb.jpg

The guy is a Feldwebel at the time he receives his East Medal document. Not sure what unit he is in at this time as I have yet to make out the Feldpostnummer on the eagle ink stamp.

Of interest is that this document has a typed in notation at the lower left, indicating the place and date of the actual award presentation. In my opinion, this is not often seen on an East Medal document. Note that this date is almost a full year after the back-dated award date.

post-4142-052714600 1289334853_thumb.jpg

His last document is for the Silver Wound Badge. He now has the rank of Leutnant and is assigned to Alarm-Bataillon-Platho. (15th Infantry Division?)

The signature is that of Hauptmann Max Platho, the Battalion Leader and one of only thirteen holders of the Army Honor Role Clasp in the 15th Infantry Division.

post-4142-089390100 1289335139_thumb.jpg

Hello to all,

Here is a nice six document grouping that I picked up recently. The guy started out in the enlisted ranks and eventually became commissioned as a Leutnant.

From his enlistment acceptance slip, it appears that he was supposedly going into the Navy:

He volunteered for service in the Wehrmacht - the officer in the recruiting office in Ludwigshafen happened to be a Korvettenkapitän.

Great set of documents!

Nice to see them still together

Thanks again, Naxos!:cheers:

Does anyone have a list of the Regimental Commanders of I.R. 321 or can anyone assist with the Feldpostnummer on the East Medal document?

Thanks & best regards,

Tom

Tom - I really like the ostmedaille doc. And, you're right, the actual award date is rarely encountered. Its also interesting that the place "Metz" is listed as well. The FP number could be telling as the doc seems to have been processed in France while the division was still fighting in Russia. He must have been in between units at the time - or perhaps he was wounded between 41 and 43 and convalescing in France.

Tom - I really like the ostmedaille doc. And, you're right, the actual award date is rarely encountered. Its also interesting that the place "Metz" is listed as well. The FP number could be telling as the doc seems to have been processed in France while the division was still fighting in Russia. He must have been in between units at the time - or perhaps he was wounded between 41 and 43 and convalescing in France.

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your comments.:cheers: Yes, I was really drawn to that presentation date on the East Medal document: Seldom ever seen! Plus the location being Fortress Metz is very interesting too. I would agree with your assessment that he was either between units at this point or recovering from a second-time wounding in Northeastern France.

Best regards,

Tom