News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CHINA WAR LORD MEDALS

Richard LaTondre

CHINESE WARLORD MEDALS

The following is an extract of a treatise by the late Foreign Minister C. L. Song who was the former Chargè de’ Affairs of the Government of China. (1934 – 1948) They were contained in a letter that C. L. Song had written to James. M. Watson and were found in some notes I had obtained from Yash (OMSA No.1)

I have read Colonel Robert E. Wyllies book on medals in which is included a short description of Chinese military, naval and diplomatic decorations but as only five of these are given and a rather vague of each, which I consider is not altogether correct, I venture to give a more wider view of others which were also either officially issued, or approved and recognized by the Chinese government.

After the inauguration of the Republic with Yuan Shih-Kai as its first president, official sanction was granted various Tuchans or governors to establish such decorations and medals as they considered suitable, to be bestowed only on higher military commanders, firstly, as a reward for their services in helping to overthrow the Manchu dynasty and secondly as a permanent record of the Revolution. These decorations were many and varied, since, in the majority of cases the governor concerned had to rely upon such engravers as were available in his own province.

Several of these medals bear the likeness of the Tuchan himself in military dress whilst others are beautifully designed and worked. However, as jealousy and intrigue among these provincial rulers became rife with the aftermath of the new regime, it was not long before several of them were either deposed or assassinated, and so eventually a new set of medals made their appearance with the new governor, who naturally wanted nothing of his predecessor.

About this time (1914) the Great War was raging in Europe, and China in the following year allied herself with the cause of the Allies although without any active participation other than permitting many thousands of Chinese labourers to be sent to France to work behind the lines. Mention is made of this fact, I think, in the Times History of the Great War, and it is worthy of recall that each man on his return to China was given a medal bt the British Government for services rendered. Few of them have kept them, however, but those who have, wear them with pride. The Chinese Government also issued a medal to the senior officers in charge of the contingent and as only a few were given, these are indeed very rare.

Several Wen-Hu (Striped Tiger) decorations were bestowed on Allied commanders by the Chinese Government in recognition of services given against a common foe whilst at the successful conclusion of the war a number of Chah-Ho (Golden Grain) medals were given to those diplomats who were instrumental in helping China to recover Tsingtao which had been from her by Germany many years before, and which had been re-captured by the Japanese troops with the assistance of the British naval and land forces after Japan had also joined the Allies, in 1914.

With peace in Europe once more, internal troubles in China did not diminish but on the contrary seemed to increase. Feuds developed and the two great Warlords Chang Tso-lin and Wu Pei-Fu struggled for supremacy from 1919 to 1926 when the latter was finally defeated. Chang Tso-lin’s influence rapidly spread southwards and had already gone beyond the Yangtsze Valley when Chiang Kai-Shek took up the challenge from Canton (1927.

However, during the period of fighting both Warlords, who each had the backing of several other Provincial commanders, issued a number of medals to their troops, the majority having some kind of picture or photograph of the Warlord concerned inset. Wu Pei-Fu in fact issued more decorations than any other commander and he appears to have insisted on impressive titles describing his prowess on all his issues. Chang Tso-lin was much more reserved, probably being guided by his foreign advisor, General Sutton, world renowned as the “one armed Sutton", a soldier of fortune and a veteran of the World War. In several of his medals Chang Tso-lin is shown in different kinds of dress, some as a Chinese Field Marshal, others in Russian military costume, whilst one in particular shows him mounted on a fiery steed jumping the Great Wall of China, a really impossible feat, but the old Warlord evidently intended to convey the impression that he was unconquerable by driving his adversaries south of the Great Wall which in those days was really considered impregnable.

It is not necessary, I think, to remind my readers of the reason why the Great Wall was built, since it is considered one of the seven wonders of the world but the old Marshal was evidently so elated by his victory that he caused this medal to be struck.

As previously mentioned the majority of medals issued by these powerful barons eventually had the recognition of the government at Peking which by this time had installed its third president Tsao Kwung, also a former Warlord and supreme commander of the seven Central provinces. Each President made it the practice of striking and issuing a number of decorations on election, to various military commanders and officials still loyal to the government, but so far as is known none of these were bestowed on foreigners, the reason for this being that they were not welcomed to take part in China’s internal quarrels and so none were granted. However, a number of foreigners did receive medals and badges for flood and famine relief and for assisting in Red Cross work but these were limited in number.

So many and varied were the number of decorations and medals issued at different times and for different campaigns that to give a detailed list here would be impossible. Suffice it to say that official approval from the Bureau of Engraving had first to be obtained, and in the majority of cases this was strictly adhered to. Indeed two very beautiful and exquisite specimens were struck and issued to the Governor of the Bureau itself in 1912 and are very rare. These take the form of a jeweled cross, the first class being gold and the second of silver. The Bureau at this time was very much overworked due to the enormous amount of work it had to contend with in the new government and the very limited staff of experts at its disposal.

WITH THE COMING OF Chiang Kai-Shek, afterwards promoted Generalissimo, who defeated every army put against him in his northward drive from Canton, culminating in his capture of Peking a few months later and ousting the government, all previous medals and decorations were abolished. These included the White Eagle, Pao-Kwung-Chah-Ho (Precious Light Golden Grain), Cha-Ho (Golden Grain),, the Wen-Hu (Striped Tiger) together with all other provincial medals with the exception of the Order of the Red Cross of China and a few other philanthropic issues which were still being given for such work. However, some of the old Warlords of Suiyuan, Chahar and other Northern areas refused to accept Chiang as their conqueror and continued to rule their own domains.

Once established the new Kuomintang then struck a new set of medals and decorations, the highest being the Army, Navy and Air force medal, several of which have already been conferred on foreigners, mostly police officials for assisting in the overthrow of Communism against which Chiang Kai-Shek was deadly against.

The Generalissimo moreover caused several other medals to be struck and issued to his troops for bravery and meritorious service during his northward drive but these are rar and only a few have come into the possession of collectors.

With the outbreak of war between Japan and China in 1932 the very high decorations of the previous regime’s such as those mentioned in Colonel Wyllie’s book are rapidly becoming scarce since a number of former high officials, now either deposed or refugees from the military scourge which continues to ravage China have, mostly through poverty or other reasons been forced to sell theirs for cash or have them melted down for the sake of the precious metals and jewels they contained, and so eke out a miserable existence. Other have been buried with the recipients as is the usual custom with the Chinese of previous eras, whilst a number together with practically all the records were lost at Peking when the Japanese army invaded and pillaged that ancient capital. Only one complete collection existed which belonged to the old government, and now that this has been lost the task of replacing same is impossible, and China’s military record of heroes, soldiers, and statesmen is lost for ever except in the imagination of dreamers. I have heard however of odd private collections but it is doubtful if these are anywhere near complete and since I have not had the privilege of inspecting any of them I am unable to pass an opinion.

It is certain, however, that any collection of such a nature must not only become exceedingly valuable, but highly interesting, since lovers of my country must deplore the passing of our national heroes of days which have gone forever.

oooOOOOooo

/s/ TsialingSong

What a treasure trove of information! If only there were pictures. Many thanks. May we hope that you'll work it into an OMSA monograph or part of a book?

Best,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Well there certainly is enough material but most of it is handwritten notes and it takes quite a bit of time to decipher some of it. All of the pictures are black and white xerox copies however I think I have most of them in color from when I did the work on the Mohler Collection at Stanford. I would like to share it with others as it does provide some interesting facts about these very old pieces of history. I believe that J. M. Watson wrote a book "Chinese Medals and Decorations" which I have as a draft plus an old draft of Mohlers book on Chinese medals. Printing costs are so high that I have given up doing it myself. If OMSA would print it I think it would be great.

Regards,

Dick