News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

J.M. Watson Notes, Chief Police Inspector, Shanghai

Richard LaTondre

NOTES BY J. M. WATSON

Inspector of Police Shanghai China and Author of Chinese Medals and Decorations

(These are notes from S. G. Yasinitskys files, The founder of OMSA that I feel should be shared with the members of OMSA. This item pertains to Mr. C. L. Song the Tsiaoling (Charge de Affaires) of the Republic of China from 1934 to 1948.)

PART I

I first met Tsiaoling C. L. Song in the early spring of 1938 in Shanghai when he answered an advertisement I had inserted in a Chinese newspaper for orders and decorations of former Chinese governments.

As he walked sedately into my office one morning he had diplomat written all over him. Correctly attired in a grey morning suit, an umbrella over his left arm and carrying a black Homberg hat he was a picture of courtliness and good manners. After the introductions were over he gave me his history.

Speaking several languages he had been appointed Charge de Affaires in 1912 by Peking, to first, Germany until China broke off relations in 1915 with that country, then he was transferred to other Embassies, Denmark, France, Switzerland and Holland. He returned to China in 1923 but had in the meantime been decorated lavishly. For his work in Germany he had conferred upon him by the Kaiser Wilhelm a beautiful white enameled gold cross, the fourth class order of Dannenberg, (Denmarks gold cross) a French Order, and several others from the countries mentioned.

He Then returned to China and re-joined the Peking Government under President Li Yuan-Hung, (1923).

In 1927 when Chiang Kai-Sheks regime moved to Nanking, Song held a Government post which necessitated his travelling throughout the country. In October 1937 when the Japanese forces were hammering at the gates of Shanghai he had been sent down from Nanking to remove certain archives back to Hankow. Unfortunately before he could complete his mission, Japanese troops had overcome all resistance from the Chinese army, isolated Shanghai and cut all means of travel and communications between there and Nanking.

Unfortunately for my diplomat friend he had left practically all his belongings in the capital with the exception of a few personal effects, his diplomats dress and several decorations.

Cut off from the Government and without funds or relations he had resided in a Chinese hotel living for six months on the proceeds of those personal possessions (including decorations), which he had pawned.

In less than 2 hours we had recovered the more valuable items, uniform etc., from the pawnshops and returned to my office.

I outlined to him my wishes in building up as complete a collection of Chinese Orders and Decorations as was possible, since I had then, over a period of 15 years in my collection mostly only Provincial issues, medals of Warlords Yang-Sen (Szechuen Province, Wu Pei-Fu (Central China) Chang Tso-Lin (North China and Manchuria) other generals but none of the higher diplomatic and/or Government presentations, for which I was prepared to pay high prices for.

PART II

He stated that he had many old friends and retired Government officials in Shanghai who had been with him prior to and after the revolution of 1911, and knew all the decorations they would have. His difficulty was however, that he was too proud to beg or borrow, but (in his diplomatic way) he could ask for the loan of these medals etc., from the recipients for a short period and anyway, they attached little value to them now, being either too old or steeped in opium to care. In this way I could advance him sufficient funds to support himself with and pay off a few debts, and everybody would be happy. Everybody was, particularly myself three days later when he turned up with a large bundle under his arm, which, he apologized was all he could bring at the moment.

He related he had visited his best friend of happier days, none other than Tan Tso-Ji former premier and Prime Minister at Peking under Yuan Shih-Kai.

Carefully removing the wrappings on the bundle he disclosed to my view that most beautiful and exquisite of all decorations the Order of Pao-Kwung Cha-Ho, first class with blue and red sash, an order seldom conferred except on the very highest officials (see Colonel Wyllies description, page 7).

Next came a complete set of the Order of the Wen-Hu or striped Tiger, ist Class with green and yellow sash, then another of the Order of the Cha-Ho, 2nd class, yellow and white sash. Lower classes included the Cha-Ho, 4th class and the Wen-Hu, 4th class, and a Manchurian Order. All were in their original boxes as issued and in beautiful condition.

(two weeks later, after my diplomat friend had brought me the collection, Tang Tso-Ji was assassinated by an axe wielding youth who on the pretense of being a relative struck his victim, leaving the weapon embedded in the skull).

(Motive ÷ the ex-premier had some 25 years previously and against the wishes of the local population personally destroyed with an axe an idol which blocked the way of a new highway leading out from Peking in the Chungshan district. This story is vouched for personally by the former Chief Justice and Attorney General of China, Judge Hing Yun-Loo, a personal friend of the old premier).

A few days later my diplomat brought me a very rare set formerly owned by another old premier, General Tuan Chi-Jui, leader of the powerful Peiyang party who helped to topple the Manchus. These were the 2nd class Pao-Kwung-Cha-Ho with sash, 2nd class Wen-Hu, and several others of lower orders conferred on the old general for distinguished services.

Another very fine set brought later consisted of some orders and medals of former President Li Yuan-Hung who succeeded Marshal Yuan Shih-Kai, after the latter had been poisoned to death at the instigation of the Japanese. (in this matter the Japanese Military were exerting their influence in the north and had some considerable hold over Yuan. In fact the president on page 40 is photographed wearing the star of the order of the Rising Sun! (No other succeeding president had

PART III

PART III

this decoration conferred upon him). Presumably he was accumulating too much power for their liking for he was wearing this order above all others. I have not come across any other than this specimen, either in Peking or elsewhere. (Yuan Shih-Kai is not shown wearing the order possibly because the photograph was taken very early in his presidency),

Throughout the summer of 1938 my diplomat friend brought me from time to time, and mostly now by direct purchase, various smaller decorations, and mostly from junior officials. Occasionally we traversed the city together combing pawnshops, second hand dealers, thieves markets and other junk merchant places but we had secured the cream of the collection earlier and had to be content with whatever other items we could pick up. Occasionally a dealer from Peking would be able to smuggle through the Japanese military a few specimens into Shanghai which we were able to take up.

I was soon to lose, however, my newly found friend, and diplomat, for much to my very great sorrow and regret,

(the following note is written at the bottom of this page: “ . . Yuan Shih-Kai’s order was located in Hong Kong in 1955 slightly different and having double pearls in each leaf, now in my collection” JMW) as he contracted a severe case of dysentery and died ending a very valued and close friendship of only a few months.

I paid several visits to Peking during 1940-41 and 1947 but the bazaars had been practically denuded by pillaging Japanese soldiery and very few genuine decorations were left. I did however, in 1947 pick up several of the best Manchuko medals, one very rare and unique, a silver “Basket of Flowers” medal presented to Emperor Pu-Yi (the Boy Emperor replaced(sic) on the throne by Japanese) by the Japanese Emperor on the occasion of his first visit to Japan.

Now that the Japanese have lost everything they had in China and the puppet Government of Manchukuo has been liquidated, there can be few, if any, genuine specimens in the way of high orders left in this part of a once glorious empire.

There are however, quite a few of the present Nationalist Government but these are of little value from a collectors point of view, except perhaps as an example to show what the present day Governments are content with compared to those of a former area,

/s/ J.M. Watson.

Edited by Richard LaTondre