News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I have a Luftwaffe Other Ranks Erkennungsmarke or dog tag, that was recently uncovered using a metal detector from the old Murchison POW camp (Camp 13) here in Victoria,

the camp is about a two hour drive out of Melbourne, and the remains of the camp are still scattered about the old site.

This particular tag is for a Luftwaffe soldier (probably an NCO, as officer's were kept nearby at Dhuringile), and the unit was II./StG 77, with the personal number of the individual

being #30.

I have been in contact with the German WASt., and all they could give me was that the man was still alive, was born in 1918, and had applied for a pension in 1980, I am still trying

to find out if the records held here in Australia will reveal his name and details, the POW archives are held here in Melbourne, and I have requested a search using the dogtag,

but so far nothing back, so I thought I would post it here, and any assistance on finding out the man's details would be greatly appreciated......

Photo of the tag, and a couple of POW camp tokens for the canteen, plus some recovered German military buttons, still retaining some of their wartime paint, along with an

Italian wartime tunic button as well.....

Bob

post-2708-084805500 1291200360_thumb.jpg

and another photo, showing some of the old barracks foundations.

I can post up some more photos if there is any interest, but sure would love to find out some more info on the dogtag if anyone can assist.....

Best wishes

Bob

post-2708-057807800 1291202220_thumb.jpg

I also meant to add in my initial post, the soldier (airman) was probably captured in North Africa, as that is where the majority of the POW's were from, apart from

the survivors of the Kormoran. (and a handful from Greece and Crete).

Bob