News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For many years there has been a separate Africa General Service medal, to cover all of the wars that occured so regularly in this part of the World.

One of the bars is KENYA and this covers the Mau Mau uprisings of the 1950/60's. Whilst the number of Europeans killed was fairly low - I think in the low thousands - I don't think exact numbers are known for African dead.

Basically it was an attempt at a secessionist movement to obtain Independence from Britain. Almost certainly Jomo Kenyatta of the largest tribe - the Kikuyo - was behind things and when Independence was given, he became the first President.

The men who formed the Mau Mau were mostly unemployed and were directed by 'faceless' local committees. They were armed mainly with machetes and other local weapons and relied on numbers in overwhelming the white farmers' and their families. They used great brutality and literally hacked their victims to death. They terrorised the local African villages and household staff and killed great numbers - which is why I said we are not sure of numbers killed within the African communities. They would watch the estates and attack when they thought people had relaxed their guard. I understand it was common to take a revolver with you when you had a bath !

Britain sent large numbers of troops to man road blocks and to act as guards in the bigger villages and towns. However, East Africa was fortunate to have a splendid - and loyal , apart from a few incidents, of local Police and Army. The Kings African Rifles were founded in 1902 and consisted of 104 white officers and 4863 men in all units. Additionally, the East African Protectorate included the Somaliland Camel Corps. In 1920 the Protectorate was annexed and became the Crown Colony of Kenya.

There were a total of 6 Regiments in the Kings African Rifles and these were split amongst four territories.

1st and 2nd Battalions were based in Nyasaland (now Malawi)

3rd and 5th Battalions were in Kenya

4th Battalion was in Uganda

6th Battalion was in Tanganyika (now Tanzania)

In the British Army, Rifle Regiments do not carry Regimental or, King's Colours. However, the Colonel petitioned the Crown in 1924 and all 6 Regiments were granted the Honour of both Colours.

The Mau Mau insurrection eventually died away through lack of support from the local populations. However, the infrastructure of Kenya had been damaged - many farm owners leaving for Rhodesia and Sth. Africa. When elections were held, the largest tribe in numbers 'swept in' - as always happens and it has been 'down hill' ever since. The great failure of the Western Governments was in just holding a farewell party and then walking away. So many exColonies would today be in stronger positions if they had been helped through a transitional 10 year period.

These three Kenya Bar AGS medals are two for the KAR - 3rd or, 5th. Bns.in Kenya. And the other one is a Chief Inspector in the Police Reserve.

post-6209-023926100 1291722688_thumb.jpg

from Left : N54202 Pte Ibrahim Ido K.A.R.

Centre: M350 C.I. ® C.J. Tritchard (He was a Police Reservist - Ch.Insp.)

Right : EA 1811 2608 PTE. Abdi Bule K.A.R.

I'm not sure why Bule has a different style for his unit number ? Any comments will be apreciated.

post-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpgpost-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpg

This shows the reverse side. Brittania with the wreath of forgiveness and accompanied by the British Lion - the Sun in Splendour in background.

Sorry, I must have pressed twice - can anyone remove - please ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

post-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpgpost-6209-067724300 1291723148_thumb.jpg

This shows the reverse side. Brittania with the wreath of forgiveness and accompanied by the British Lion - the Sun in Splendour in background.

Sorry, I must have pressed twice - can anyone remove - please ?

Mervyn,

Thank you for showing. A most interesting campaign with a lot of small units receiving medals and a relatively inexpensive field for collectors.

As one who is interested in the earlier AGS (up to Somaliland 1920) awarded to Indian troops I have always found it a lovely medal.

The Kenya is the oddball of the AGS being issued over 35 years after the last campaign. The reverse emblem being rather ironic when the sun of empire far from being in splendour was definitely setting (bit like India in the 30's and 40's).

I feel that if somebody where to research the campaign thoroughly there could be an interesting book.

All the best,

Paul

Guest Darrell

These whole series of South Africa Medals have started to grow on me. Starting with the 1853-56 medals through to the QIIR issues.

Interesting picture of the one where the claw has separated slightly from the disc. Anyone that doesn't know how these were made, the claw on these style are connected with three vertical pins as can be seen on the example above.

post-97-080070800 1291743158_thumb.jpg

'Eagle Eye' Darrell strikes again ! I hadn't noticed the claw had lifted. Probably can be pushed back down. The older ones used to have one pin in the middle and a blob of silver solder to hold the claws.

Paul - I agree with you about a good research book - although a number were written about the campaign and the atrocities. They were the forerunner of what was to happen in the Congo in the late 50's. Most of what I know about Kenya is from older people who moved to Sth. Africa. I have been several times to Kenya and Tanzania - but, you do have to be very careful. The only time I have ever been robbed was in Nairobi on a Sunday afternoon. I was walking back to the hotel and this chap came-up and started talking - you get used to this as they like to practise their English. He suddenly produced a knife and demanded my watch. I was so surprised I nearly gave it to him - finally I said if he wanted it he would have to fight me ! He settled for 2x two pound traveller's cheques (that tells you how long ago it was). I reported the incident and a year later the Kenyan Police wrote to say they had arrested a man with the cheques. I offered to return and give evidence if they paid my airfare - they declined....

• 13 years later...

The recent Liverpool Medals catalogue featured an East and Central Africa Medal, bar Uganda 1897-98, now already purchased (https://www.liverpoolmedals.com/product/east-central-africa-uganda-27th-bombay-li?mc_cid=10e30d2511&mc_eid=eb61970ca6).  

J8977F-1.thumb.jpg.e1fa1198c28b72ea3e6b57e54dd1524f.jpg

The descriptive test reads: "

East and Central Africa Medal, bar Uganda 1897-98, 1683 Private Gulbad Shah, 27th Bombay Light Infantry, the 1st Baluch Battalion. 

Officially engraved: “1683. Pte. Gulbad. Shah. 27/Bo: L: Inf:”

Confirmed on the medal roll which also notes that he was “Discharged 16th June 1899, Received with clasp Uganda 1897-98”

Provenance, sometime ex Dixons.

Due to his early discharge and not requiring to wear the medal afterwards the medal is in excellent preserved condition, especially for a medal commonly found in more worn condition.

The Madras Weekly Mail, 3rd August 1899 published the following about the 27th Bombay Light Infantry in Uganda:

“The 27th B.I. in UGANDA

The following letter from Mr E.J.L. Berkeley, C.B., Her Majesty’s Commissioner and Consul-General, Uganda, to the Chief in India is published:-

I do not feel wholly certain that it may be within the bounds of etiquette that I should approach Your Excellency direct on the subject of the 27th Bombay Light Infantry, which regiment has been on service in this Protectorate for the last year; but I venture to hope that it may not be out of place that I should do so with the object of permitting myself to express to Your Excellency my high appreciation of the services rendered to the Uganda Protectorate by the regiment which is now on its return to India.

So far as I am aware, the 27th Bombay Light Infantry is the first regiment that has ever proceeded so far into the interior of Africa; both officers and men have suffered many severe hardships in distant parts of the Protectorate, but, despite every obstacle, the regiment has performed the task for which it was sent with a gallantry and success to which I gladly pay this brief tribute.

I should also wish to acquaint Your Excellency of the cordial relations which have existed throughout, between myself as also the staff of this Protectorate, and Colonel Broome and his officers.

I have to-day taken official leave of the 27th Bombay Light Infantry, on its return to India, and I trust that the occasion may justify this short reference to the remarks which I had the honour to address to the regiment at a parade this morning.”

The 27th Bombays were ambushed and attacked on numerous occasions by the locals, being lucky to only lose 20 men killed in the campaign.

One such ambush was recounted in the news back home:

“THE UGANDA AMBUSADE

INDIAN FORCE ATTACKED BY REBELS

Zanzibar, December 14th, An English traveller from Uganda brings news that Lieutenant Hannyngton of the 27th Bombay Infantry, and a detachment of his men fell into an ambuscade laid for them by Soudanese Mutineers at Kisalizi towards the beginning of October.

The Mutineers, who have been hiding near Lake Kioga, after being defeated by the British Forces, corssed the lake at night, and taking Lieutenant Hannyngton’s party by surprise, forced them into a retreat, with the loss of 13 men killed and a number wounded.

Lieut Hannyngton was wounded in 2 places, and the rebels succeeded in capturing 1500 Martini Cartirdges. It is believed htat their chief object was to obtain a fresh supply of ammunition. – Reuters.”

A short summary of the British East Africa Battle Honour of 1897-99, for the Uganda Mutiny of 1897, it was uniquely bestowed upon the 27th Regiment (1st Baluch Battalion) of Bombay (Light) Infantry, being shared by the 44 attached men from Jacob’s Rifles, about 6 from the 24th Baluchistans, about 6 from the “2nd Baluch Battalion”:

“In the late 19th century, the British took over control of area now forming Kenya and Uganda and declared it as the British East Africa Protectorate. 

However, despite harsh measures, they faced stiff resistance from the local princes and chiefs. In 1897, the situation took a serious turn in areas now forming Uganda, when the Sudanese troops of the local militia mutinied and killed their British officers. 

In December 1897, the 27th Regiment (1st Baluch Battalion) of Bombay (Light) Infantry (now 10th Battalion The Baloch Regiment of Pakistan Army) under Lieutenant Colonel WA Broome was despatched to East Africa to quell the rebellion. 

After a tough anti-insurgency operation lasting for a year, the situation was brought under control by January 1899, and the battalion returned to Karachi in May.

During the campaign, the battalion suffered 56 casualties. 

For its services in the campaign, the Baluch battalion was awarded the Battle Honour of ‘British East Africa 1897–99’ in 1901. The Battle Honour is unique to this unit. 

In 1922, when the Regimental Group System was adopted by the British Indian Army, the battalion was re-designated as the 3rd Battalion (Queen Mary’s Own) 10th Baluch Regiment, and the Battle Honour was extended to all the battalions of 10th Baluch Regiment.”"

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 4 weeks later...

The latest Liverpool Medals catalogue includes a A rare Queen's South African, bars Rhodesia and Relief of Mafeking, earned by Edward Warren, a Trooper of "G" Troop, Southern Rhodesia Volunteers during the Boer War.

J8986F.thumb.jpg.ed2377acdc3fb2b79e12a1bfdf9ef853.jpg

J8986B.thumb.jpg.333663f47b503e2e80a2f68ae7bd78cf.jpg

The catalogue description reads: 

"Queen’s South Africa Medal, 2 bars, Rhodesia, Relief of Mafeking, 476 Trooper Edward Warren, Southern Rhodesian Volunteers. 

Officially impressed: “476 Tpr E. Warren. S. Rhod. Vols:”

Confirmed on the medal roll.

The medal roll notes that during the Boer War he served as a Member of “G” Troop, Western Division of the Southern Rhodesia Volunteers.

It also confirms that his medal and the 2 clasps were issued to the Officer Commanding of the Southern Rhodesia Volunteers at Bulawayo on 24th June 1908.

Southern Rhodesia death records records only one matching Edward Warren, a Miner, who came to settle in Rhodesia.

Edward Warren, was born in West Quantoxhead, Somerset, England circa 1870.

The son of John and Elizabeth Warren.

He is shown living with his parents during the 1871 and 1881 Census, before disappearing from the local area by 1891.

The English Census and later Southern Rhodesia Death Records both match regarding his parents name and origin.

He looks to have come to South Africa during the 1890s period, where many men came to the fledgling state of Rhodesia and South Africa, particularly as there were many Diamond and Gold Rushes going on at the time and your average labourer could maybe strike it big at the mines.

He married Jane Stuart Warren (nee Jeanette, Born Macdonald) in Bulawayo on 22nd February 1930.

By the time of his death on 10th December 1937 he was said to be about 63 years 11 months old and worked as a Miner, living in Eastern Queens.

Eastern Queen’s is particularly known for their Gold Mine, the Queen’s Mine has been operating since around 1893, and even today is still unearthing new Gold in what is now modern day Zimbabwe.

His Will notes a good numbers of shares in various Gold Mines in the area amounting to about £12617 pounds, Nigel Gold Mining Co, East Rand Proprietary Mines, Consolidated Diamond Mines of S.W.A. Ltd etc.

At the time the Rhodesian Pound was pegged to the British Sterling Pound, and accounting for inflation these shares could be worth the modern day equivalent of £700k, not a bad gamble to go to Rhodesia and become a Gold Miner."