News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help to identify a chinese medal

alex82

Hello everyone!

This medal is in my collection for quiet a wile and i finally found the time to do some research. unfortunately I didn't found out much either in my reference book nor online.

I would be very happy about any information (name, translation of the backside, purpose, date. etc.).

thank you very much and happy holiday

a l e x

post-6750-006484500 1293449428_thumb.jpg

The ribbon appears to be the Order of Renaissance and Honor, 3rd class, but Chinese orders can be very confusing since they often change ribbons from class to class. The planchet is nothing like the ORH, which is for aviators. However, the medal does appear to follow most of the conventions of ROC medals, including the serial number, which would make it traceable if only you could get the Museum in Taiwan to respond. A mystery.

Edited by Hugh

The ribbon appears to be the Order of Renaissance and Honor, 3rd class.

Early Order of Renaissance and Honor had the same ribbons for all classes. It was not until later while the government was on Taiwan, the ribbon were differentiated between each class.

It looks like a ministry type of award..

I saw this medal for sale on ebay about two months ago. Seller couldn't identify it, but still went for a good price.

I found the auction, same medal...

Edited by hc8604

Hugh and hc8604, Thank you very much for your help!

I Indeed got this medal over ebay a few month ago. I was surprised to win this, because normally when I place my maximum bid for a chinese medal it goes for 10-times the money I can spent.

I was also surprised because I saw a similar medal on ebay about 2 years ago for a much higher price then I payed. I remembered that it was described as a medal for passing some civil servant law test (the scale) back then.

It's interesting that there are not more of these medals on the market considering the relatively high number on the back.

I will send the pictures to some friends in Taiwan and try to find out more.

thank you again for your help and a happy new year!

a l e x

:banger: of course there are fakes of this medal as well as any other chinese medals: http://cgi.ebay.com/aged-collectable-chinese-Warlord-scuffle-date-medal-/110628488735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c1f8c61f

I also mailed the pictures to the author of «Chinese Orders (1862-1955)» this is his reply:

…This is a medal in the Republic period. It is awarded by the Nanking government. There are a few versions for different years since about 1932. This one is the later version, but before 1949.…

happy new year party!

a l e x

• 12 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...