News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kovetten Kapitan Franz-Christoph Schroeder

Kovetten Kapitan Franz-Christoph Schroeder

Born 1879 died 1925 at the age of 46.

He entered the navy in 1896.

His first service was on the S. M. S. Stosch training ship. He was awarded the Prussian Silver Lifesaving medal on 7 September 1902. Schroeder served on the S. M. S. Stosch, S. M. S. Nixe, S. M. S. Charlotte, S. M. S. Mars (Artillery Training Ship), S. M. S. Beowulf (Coastal Defense Ship), and S. M. S. Hildebrand (Coastal Defense Ship). He served on S.M.S. Charlotte in 1902/03 during the Veneszula Blockade, earnig the Colonial Medal with "Veneszula 1902/03" bar. Schroeder served on the S. M. S. Charlotte for the period of April 1901-1903. The cruise begins in Wilhelmshafen and Kiel. Places visited during this period were Petersburg, Bilbao, Madeira, Sandos, Montevideo, Trinidad, etc. He was then transferred to the S. M. S. Hertha Flagship of the East Asiatic Squadron. We see that this vessel made calls at Nagasaki, Tsingtau, etc. Form 1903 to 1905 he served with Prince von Prussian Adalbert on S.M.S. Hertha in China (Midshipman Koehler was also on the Hertha at this time), and at the II Torpedo Division in Kiel (see photo of .Prince von Prussian Adalbert with dedication). In 1905 Schroeder was under special orders of the Kasier and sent to Istanbul Turkey (see pass). During this time he earned the Turkish Order of Osmanie 4th Class, and Türkish Silver Imtiaz Medal. He was next transferred to the S. M. S. Loreley. Following that, he was assigned to the S. M. S. Leipzig for the period of 1906-1907. [Aboard this ship he mentions that the kommandant is a Fregattenkapitän Hipper. In 1910 Rangsliste pg 230 – listed 18/116 Kapitan Lieutenant U officer on BB S.M.S. Wettin circle R, SK4, TsM, TO4.

His medal bar is as follows:

Full sized Medal Bar:

1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class

Prussian Life Saving Medal

Prussian Order of the Red Eagle 4th

Colonial Medal bar Venezuela 1902/03 S.M.S. Charlotte

1897 Centennial Medal

Mecklenburg-Schwerin War Merit Cross 2nd Class (MMV2)

Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 2nd Class

Prussian Officer's service cross

Siam Order of the Crown 4th Class

Turkish Order of Osmanie 4th Class

Turkish Silver Imtiaz Medal

Breast Badges:

1914 Iron Cross 1st Class

Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st Class

Since I am still researching Schroeder I would appreciate any help (rangslist, etc) for the periods after 1907 (except 1910). I do not know if Schroeder stayed in the Navy after WW1. I also do not know what he died of in 1925 (and if he was still in the service). Thanks in advanced, and Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-006890600 1293604074_thumb.jpg

Edited by army historian

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Just rechecking to see if I could drum up some interest and help. Thanks Captain Albert :cheers:

Well after a lot of work - I have found the following on Schroeder - Born 31 Jan 1879

During the war he served as Adjutant of St.N. (Navy Staff -North) then from January 1917 to July 1917 as first officer on the S.M.S. Oldenburg - his last command was from July 1917 until the end of the war as Commander of Luftabwehr-Abteilung (Air Defence Battalion) in the city of Cuxhaven. (translated by Naxos). He is listed in the 1914-1918 Rangslist as retiring on 16 March 1919, and retiring with the honorary rank of Fregattenkapitän 30 August 1919. I Found a telephone listing in Breigau for Fregattenkapitän Franz Christop Schroeder in 1937, so he did not die in 1925 (as I was told). Could use help to see if he was recalled in WW2. Thanks Captain Albert :jumping:

Edited by army historian