News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SA Bar, British Interest...

is it correct to think that only officers in the SADF wore miniatures?

Also warrant officers. As I recall, minis were automatically included in the box with medals issued to officers, and WOs could apply for them becuase they were entitled to wear mess dress. I know of at least one CF NCO who applied for and obtained minis even though he didn't have mess dress.

Hi Chris

I should think the chances are very good that, as his previous service was in the RN, his SADF service was in the SAN. As a radio op he could have been at Simon's Town or even at Silvermine. Actually, over the course of at least twenty years, he may have been stationed at various places. Evidently he spent at least three months on the Border -- as his Pro Patria doesn't have a 'Cunene' clasp and looks like a fairly late issue with fixed suspender, his Border service was probably in the 1980s.

This group must surely be unique, because of the combination of the (UK) General Service Medal + 'Malay Peninsula' clasp with SADF medals.

• 3 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Dear Chris

I have been collecting these types of groups ( Modern SADF with earlier British awards) for many years and have built up a bit of a database on them.

In the late 1960's the SA Navy recruited Royal Navy guys because they needed their experiance in specific areas.

It may be possible to research this. Please post the numbers on all the medals and lets see if I can help you. The Pro Patria is a latter issue so may be a late claim or replacement. Most of the Pro Patria's I have to confirmed naval guys are in a specific number range and are the early swing type.

The thing that worries me with this group is that 99% of them that I have handled all have the earlier type ribbons on their long service medals plus almost never have the Unity or GSM.

Lets see if I can help you. Its a long shot but we may be lucky. If you can get me his full names it would help??

Kind regards

Dear Chris

Lets see if I can help you. Its a long shot but we may be lucky. If you can get me his full names it would help??

Kind regards

Okay... from left to right starting with the Pro Patria

6358 (This not on the back, but on the rim, which must have taken some doing....)

I have bo first names, but the name Broom is pretty rare in South Africa. I got the group as i said near Simonstown... I think there was only one Broom in the cape town telephone book (maybe a son), but noone answered when I called...

Dear Chris

Thanks for the numbers. Let me see if I can find something. Its a long shot but we can try.

A Pro Patria with such a high number is normally not easy to track and I though was normally a nice clean that they guys swopped with when he had his medals mounted, but recently I acquired a high ranking officers group with a high numbered pro patria and it turned out that it was 100pct correct. He just claimed it late.

The numbers on all the earlier issue LSGC medals are always on the edge. And with the wavy edge its not easy to read them. Then someone came up with bright idea to name them on the back. Much simpler...

The way they are numbered i.e. the size of the punches also dates them. But lets first see if i can find him.

Kind regards

Munroe

Sorry

Just read back to see the welcome note from Mervyn. Nice to hear from you. Yes I am very much alive and still collecting.

I joined the GMIC a long time ago but never posted anything. A friend told me that I better do my bit and start looking at the forums and give something back. I have found the forums content amazing and very interesting. I am happy to contribute where I can.

Munroe

Dear Chris

Here is similar type group. But this guy has the Navy GSM var Palestine 45-48, his Navy Long service medal and then his South African medals.

This one is interesting because they have not recognised his RN service as his has the 10 year SADF long service medal. But I have others where they have and then it starts with 20 year SADF long service medal in addition to his British Long Service medal. So i have no idea how they awarded the LSGC medals.

Medals Are

Pro Patria - with Cunene Clasp

Commendation medal

10 Year LSGC

RN Long service medal

NGSM bar Palestine 45-48

Kind regards

Munroe