News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US 369th Infantry Regiment victory medal

RobW

To all,

I have posted this inquiry in the Rest of the World section victory medal thread, as well as here as the audience is a bit different in both sections of the forum.

I am currently conducting some research into the US 93rd Infantry Division and in particular the 369th Infantry Regiment and its participation in the Aisne-Marne offensive.

While the 93rd Division did not serve as a complete division during the Great War, the individual Infantry Regiments serving with the French Army were, according to the 'Battle Participation of Organisations of the AEF' 1920 publication awarded campaign streamers.

According to this reference the 369th was, in Part I - Battle Participation listed as participating in:

* Champagne Sector, France, 8 April-4 July, 1918; 21 July-19 August, 1918; 26 August-2 September, 1918.

* Champagne-Marne defensive, France, 15 July-18 July, 1918.

* Aisne-Marne offensive, France, 18 July-20 July, 1918.

* Meuse-Argonne offensive (Champagne), France, 26 September-30 September, 1918.

* Thur sector, Vosges, France, 16 October-11 November 1918.

Participation in the Aisne-Marne offensive is also indicated in Part II - Organisations Participating In Each Major Operation And Sector:

* Aisne-Marne Offensive, France, 18 July-6 August, 1918

- 369th Infantry, 18 July-20 July 1918.

Most references subsequently indicate the regiment would have thus qualified for the following campaign streamers:

1. Champagne–Marne

2. Meuse–Argonne

3. Champagne 1918

4. Alsace 1918

This would have translated to the following US vic clasps:

* Champagne-Marne, Meuse-Argonne, and Defensive Sector.

My query about the 369th Infantry Regiment is, if they were attributed and confirmed as participating in the Aisne-Marne offensive why were they not also entitled to the 'Aisne-Marne' clasp to the US vic?

Happy to hear many and all thoughts on this.

Regards,

Rob