News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Special Admin Section Algeria

Irish

Here is a group of insignia belonging to someone from the French Special Administration Section during the Algerian War 1955-1962 approx. To my understanding this organization would be similar to the U.S. Civil Affairs? Can anyone expund more on the duties and function of this unit, The Colonial Medal ribbon has the Tunisie and Indochine bars while WW2 Comemorative carries the Afrique bar. many thanks.

Hello Irish:

Going strictly by memory having been stationed in Algeria in 1956 - 1957:

The SAS were highly specialized officers all speaking Arabic or which ever language prevailed in their respective area of responsibility (Berber). They were to represent the French authorities close to the people

and were the direct liaison between army, local defense units (Harkis) and communities. They were involved in civic affairs, improving the daily lives of the population and indeed fighting for the "hearts and minds".

The pictured ribbon bar seems to indicate to me that the Medaille Militaire indicates a former n.c.o. who later followed an officer candidate course and upon graduation received special training for the SAS responsibilities. Officer rank were important in these positions and established some authority. These posts were oftentimes lonely and very dangerous positions. Perhaps Veteran or somebody else can shed additional light on these dedicated officers whose important participation in the Algerian Conflict is largely obscure.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thank You Bernhard for that information. I would assume they put themselves in great danger the farther they went into the hinterlands. Was the SAS multi functional? Meaning did they have various occupational specialties within the organization. Medical, Agricultural, Local Administration, Education, as they reached out into these villages. Or were they mainly a military organization. Thanks John

Thank You Bernhard for that information. I would assume they put themselves in great danger the farther they went into the hinterlands. Was the SAS multi functional? Meaning did they have various occupational specialties within the organization. Medical, Agricultural, Local Administration, Education, as they reached out into these villages. Or were they mainly a military organization. Thanks John

Hello John:

Going strictly by memory I would rather not venture a guess. But I believe them to have been more of an all around talented officer.

The insignia you showed were for the French north-african formations as the color red, the Crescent and star indicate. Whether the SAS had their own , dedicated insignia I am unable to say (and you did not ask the question).

In any event the SAS cling to my memory as an outstanding branch of service.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello John:

Going strictly by memory I would rather not venture a guess. But I believe them to have been more of an all around talented officer.

The insignia you showed were for the French north-african formations as the color red, the Crescent and star indicate. Whether the SAS had their own , dedicated insignia I am unable to say (and you did not ask the question).

In any event the SAS cling to my memory as an outstanding branch of service.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Irish

I would rather think these shoulderboards and insignia belonged to a lieutenant attached to the Algerian/Tunisian Spahis (at the time native cavalry with mostly French officers and a proportion of French NCOs). He could have also served with the SAS.

The ribbon-bar is distincly pre-Algerian conflict. If it belongs with the Spahi material, this man served (probably as an NCO or possibly as an "Aspirant) in Indochina and possibly during WW2 against Germany or Japan (the bar on the light blue 1939-45 Commemorative medal would tell).

Strangely it does not have the Algerian "peace-keeping" ribbon which would normally have been worn by an SAS officer.

A nice group of obviously period material.

I would expect these remarks to be amended by better expert than I.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran