News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fairburn Sykes Fighting knife

Volovonok

12.jpg11.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg

Hello gentlemen,

I am a new forum member and looking for some info on this dagger. It looks to me original 1st pattern Fairburn Sykes Fighting knife. I am offered to purchase this item, however, as 1st pattern of this dagger is rather rare item I would like to get a piece of advise from other members of community who may be more competent to confirm authentity or disprove it. The knive has no stamps or marks other than etchings I showed. As far I am concerned this is how it should be with the 1st pattern.

Pictures are attached I hope. What light can anyone shed on this weapon please? Thank you very much in advance.

Hello Volvo - welcome to the Forum. I am attaching some variations on the Mk.1 Fairburn Sykes fighting knife. They should help in your identification. If the prices show - ignore them - they are from a 1985 ref. book. You are looking at a high price for a genuine mk.1 - which came in two patterns.

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for your input and pictures you posted. Having examined the pics you provided I can only say that the dagger I posted resembles the one on the black and white pics and corresponds with the description.

I wish it were Pattern 1 indeed but I am still hesitant due to lack of practical exprience with FS knives. I have a good chance of buying the dagger rather cheap but want to make sure I am not buying replica. Would anybody advise me a resource to get an opinion of a person with hands-on experience on FS 1?

Many thanks

Edited by Volovonok

Looking at your illustrations I would say that it looks genuine. Obviously, a final opinion always depends on viewing - however, the acid etching for the panel would not be easy to do. You say that you can get it at a reasonable price - sometimes that can be a giveaway - particularly from a dealer. However, if it is a private purchase, I would personally take a chance. At auction I think a 1st pattern could be well in excess of 1000pounds ($1600) . Phone Wallis and Wallis - in Lewes , Sussex - and see what they would say for price.

Remember the SAS motto - 'He who hesitates is lost'. Well, something like that, but, quite simply you will not get many opportunities at a 1st. pattern.