News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ok, what I do know: Fuss-Artillerie with a 15cm sFH 1902, #3 on the shoulder straps, "Res 3" and "Apr 15" in the caption.

So, I believe these guys to be Reserve Fuss-Artillerie Regiment 3, wearing the 1907/10 feldgrau tunics (obviously posing for the picture).

I haven't gone further into the confusing - albeit interesting - world of Fuss-Artillerie history until I get some corroboration. Also, would be nice to get some help deciphering the rest of the caption. Nothing written on the back to help.

Curiously, the man sitting in the lower right has a Landwehr cross on his lower cockade to his feldmutze. I couldn't get a good scan/blow-up, but you can see it clearly with a 3x6 magnifying lens. None of the others seem to have the cross. The #3 can be seen on almost all the straps. Scans below.

Hello I.G.,

The older guy is wearing the cross on his cap, because he was probably in the reserve before the war, the other crew members are most likely wartime recruits and therefore did not get these. At least that would be my explanation.

I think the first word is "Ostzug" and "5/Res.3" is the 5th battery of the regiment. The regiment was raised in August of 1914.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hello I.G.,

The older guy is wearing the cross on his cap, because he was probably in the reserve before the war, the other crew members are most likely wartime recruits and therefore did not get these. At least that would be my explanation.

I think the first word is "Ostzug" and "5/Res.3" is the 5th battery of the regiment. The regiment was raised in August of 1914.

Chip

Enough corroboration for me - thanks Chip! Now to see if Reserve Fuss-Artillerie Regt. 3 was on the Eastern Front in April 1915.

• 4 months later...

Hello!

In he book ""Mein Kriegstagebuch" (Goes/Cron), is recorded, that the II.Bataillon/Res.Fußart.Rgt.3 fought in the winter-battle of the Champagne (feb. 21st-march 20th 1915) under command A.O.K.3

I don´t think, the batterie was transfered to the east. I assume, it stayed in that area in the "trench-battles of the Champagne, march 21st-sept. 21st.

The 5th batterie belonged to the II. bataillon

The active 5th batterie had 10cm M14, and the bavarians had mortars.

So you´re right with the Res.Fußart.Rgt.3

Edited by The Prussian

Hello!

In he book ""Mein Kriegstagebuch" (Goes/Cron), is recorded, that the II.Bataillon/Res.Fußart.Rgt.3 fought in the winter-battle of the Champagne (feb. 21st-march 20th 1915) under command A.O.K.3

I don´t think, the batterie was transfered to the east. I assume, it stayed in that area in the "trench-battles of the Champagne, march 21st-sept. 21st.

The 5th batterie belonged to the II. bataillon

The active 5th batterie had 10cm M14, and the bavarians had mortars.

So you´re right with the Res.Fußart.Rgt.3

Hmmm... muddies the water a bit. Thanks for the additional info.

Well, I think, the original recordings are all right... I read "Ostzug" too, but what shall it mean? Ost is east, that´ s clear.

But if you mean a campagne, one would write "Feldzug". I think, "Zug" in this case means "platoon".

Maybe the 5th batterie was divided in two platoons. A "West" one and an "East" one. Just an idea...