News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA AXE

Just where does one post a topic on a stoneage axe ? Certainly we don't seem to have a subforum that would cover the subject. Since the New Guinea part was under an Australian Protectorate this seems to be the closest I can find.

Actually, it was the people who were /are using stone age implements - like the Australian Aboriginals they come from a very old race and did not have access to metals. The result was that they made all weaponry from wood - with some parts of stone. Some of the inland tribes still persist in this culture - but, as has happened in so many places, progress has brought them into contact with a more modern way of life.

During the 1920's many large cruise ships operated out of South Africa and Australia and the Far East were popular destination. You must remember that there was no air transport and not everyone wanted to travel to Europe. I believe that this axe was brought here in that period - and needless to say, was then stored away. It was found a few years ago in a barn outside of Ladysmith in Natal - where the famous siege took place in the Boer War.

This was not a tourist piece - it was made to fight with. The stone blade is probably basalt - almost certainly volcanic in origin. The other - smaller head is of wood and you will see that the shaft is pointed for backward strokes at close quarters. Really , quite a formidable weapon. The binding has been expertly done - and was probably then soaked to tighten everything.

I think it makes a very decorative display item ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hello Mervyn,

A fasinating weapon from an equally fasinating culture. A culture still living in the stone age within our living memory. Well, the living memory of you and me.

I agree that there may be enough interest in ancient weaponry among the membership to support a section for such items and discussion. Many of the military tactics that worked successfully in the recent past had their roots in the tactics employed in the distant past.

Thank you for posting this interesting artifact and broaching the suggestion of a new section.

Regards

Brian

Hello Mervyn,

A fasinating weapon from an equally fasinating culture. A culture still living in the stone age within our living memory. Well, the living memory of you and me.

I agree that there may be enough interest in ancient weaponry among the membership to support a section for such items and discussion. Many of the military tactics that worked successfully in the recent past had their roots in the tactics employed in the distant past.

Thank you for posting this interesting artifact and broaching the suggestion of a new section.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

Sorry,I didn't see your reply to Mervyn's post before I posted a new topic on if we should have a seperate Forum or section for "items that don't fit".

Bob