News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Really neat U.S. WWII Helmet Liner

2xvetran

I found this at the local antique store a couple of weeks ago. I was a member of the 70th Division from 1987-1993 and have a soft spot for some of their items. This liner intrigued me as the unit crest was not one of the WWII regiments assigned to the 70th but this was clearly a WWII liner. So, I did a bit of checking and found out the DUI is from the 333rd regt of the 84th Div, who for a short time, became assigned to the 70th after the war and they were considered an Airborne Infantry Regt, although it doesn't appear that they received any jump training. The inside of the liner has a piece of gauze style tape with the Master Sergeants name written on it. Near as I can tell the insignia is from the early 50s (the 333rd was assigned in 1951) Couldn't pass up the mystery for $20.00, so I bought it. :D Scott.

2395122140105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Possibly a Training Instructor or Platoon sergeant's helment?

Ed

Almost certainly Ed, that's what the 70th did from wars end until the late 1990s. Infantry instructors at Ft. Benning Ga, drill instructors at Ft Knox and Ft Benning, and some other side missions. Scott.

• 3 years later...

There was a time, especially in the 1950s, when insignia & painted designs on helmet liners approached something of an art form. The most unique design I saw was worn by cadre of a 9th Infantry Division Field Artillery battalion at Ft. Carson, Colorado. The unit's "totem" was the ram -- cadre's helmet liners were Artillery red with gold colored, curved ram horns, similar to football helmets worn by the Los Angeles Rams NFL team.